• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hockey

Pond Hockey! That was more like a preseason game with a noisy crowd.

Doc.

Game 2 was better.
Flyers had plenty of chances to get the puck in the air to the goal. Instead the puck floated close to the ice.
:thumbs: Thumbs up to who ever that was on the Flyers that prevented the 3rd score. What it showed me, was a team who hasn't given up.
The last 10 minutes was intense to watch.

Game 2 was better.
Flyers had plenty of chances to get the puck in the air to the goal. Instead the puck floated close to the ice.
:thumbs: Thumbs up to who ever that was on the Flyers that prevented the 3rd score. What it showed me, was a team who hasn't given up.
The last 10 minutes was intense to watch.

I have to agree that game two was much better to watch. Like Doc said, game one seemed like an exhibition game. 2 had the nastiness and better defensive play I think everyone expected. The Flyers may have dug too big a hole to climb out of. They HAVE to win both games in Philly to have a chance now.

It has to be encouraging to the team though to have stayed so close in both games. Hopefully the nerves will get to Neimi next game.

Sigh another season in the books. Congratulations to the Blackhawks! Can not wait until the draft :thumbs:

A shameless bump to check the thread fresh in the minds of the hockey fans. The season is getting closer and I for one thing am getting excited. I'm sad to see Frolov leave to the Rangers and I can not believe what Chicago is doing to the line up.

Forget Frolov, you've got Ponikarovski. Stanley Cup here you come!

Thankfully the Leafs picked up Versteeg. We'll see you in the Final!

While Chicago still has their core, you can't make that many changes and not have it effect team chemistry. I think they'll still be good but it wouldn't surprise me to see them struggle a bit, nevermind SC hangover. I also predict Turco will have a good bounce-back season. Seems like he needed a change of scenery.

The Ducks have completely revamped their blueline. I see them struggling a lot, and personally speaking, that makes me happy.

With AFro going to the Rangers, I can only see it going one of two ways: either he struggles and gets lynched by the media and fans there, or he does well and becomes their new messiah. I say the latter is more likely. I wish the Kings would've re-signed him but the writing was on the wall a while ago.

Say what you want about Poni (as I'm sure all you Leaf fans will! :D ) but the more level-headed Kings fans say that he'll fit in well on a defense-first minded team and that he's good driving to the net which is something the Kings need even with guys like Smyth and Handzus. Looking forward to seeing Bernier back up Quick, but I wonder what exactly will happen with Ersberg? The guy has gotten the shaft if you ask me. I also get the feeling that Lombardi still has a trick or two up his sleeve as far as trades/signings go. May not happen soon, but I get the feeling before pre-season is over another acquisition or two is in the works.

Modano in Detroit, eh? That will be very weird to see, to say the least! Good for him and for the Wings. Still not sold on Howard in goal though. The guy always looks sloppy to me and his rebound control is mediocre.

People are saying Vancouver is the top dog. I just don't see it. Their defense isn't the strongest and as much of a beast as Luongo can be, he can also be their weak link at times. But then again, I'm a bit biased as the last playoff series left a very sour taste in my mouth from Vancouver and their fans.

Poni will get you 25 goals a year at least. He's a solid second line guy. I think us Toronto fans just expected more from him, especially physically.

For you guys in the US who can't get enough hockey I'd suggest googling Foxy Proxy. It is an add on for the FireFox browser (you can download the plug in from FireFox add ons menu) that is a proxy server.

The purpose of it is to allow you access to online web sites that may be blocked if you are not from the host country.

You can sign up for 3, 6 or 12 month subscription and pick the country you'd like to have access to. I installed it to access sites in the US and it works great.

CBC has all their Saturday night games broadcast on line and TSN shows a variety of games as well, mainly international.

The best part is you can turn it on and off as needed through a simple right click. Unlike online proxy servers it works with in your browser and the only way you know it's on is a small notice on the bottom right of your browser.

I have no affiliation with it at all but thought it might be useful to some of you.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Mike

Unfortunately I believe your right about the Ducks, they are now in a rebuilding stage. The Ducks have alot of young talent in the system that I think will be seeing alot of time in the NHL because things don't look so great for the upcoming season. Although if Selanne comes back and we make a run at Kariya I think that will add much needed firepower to our forwards, taking some of the preassure off of the RPG line if Ryan comes back, which could mean another push at the playoffs before completely rebuilding.

I don't know what to make of the Chicago situation after completely dismantleing the team, should be very interesting to see how well they defend the cup.

Poni is definatley a nice addition to the Kings roster, but they and were expected to do so much more this offseason, but Lombardi could pull something else out and shock us all.

Vancouver with Ehrhoff, Edler, Bieksa, and Salo bring in Ballard and Hamhuis, that is definately a top 3 defense if you ask me, that is if Luongo can keep his cool in net.

Gearing up to be a very interesting season, I'm excited.

The rumour up here has been that Ryan is angling for a contract that will expire with Getzlaf and Perry. NHL's version of the Miami Trio.

Which would be a 4 year deal, sounds about right since he turned down the 5 year $25mil offer from Murray. I just hope they get it done and out of the way so they can focus on bringing in some helpful forwards.

I just got done watching the Top Ten Skilled Players in Hockey History on TSN's website. Let me just say only one player chosen didn't wear a helmet during his career. What a bunch of hogwash.

Doc.

Well, I don't know if there is only one but I would say that the skill level now is much higher than it was 10 years ago let alone 20 or 30 or 40 or more. I don't think it's due to better talent not at all, but skill and talent are two different things. With players playing all year round from the time they are 6, going to multiple skills camps every year and year round training players are much more skilled then ever before. Though oddly enough when you watch older games it seems there's less 'hockey' and more 'precision' going on now with more of a free flowing game back 20 years ago or more.

Although just off the top of my head I think of Lafleur, Orr, Richard.

Tell me about it. Watching some of the old 'tenders is painful. I see goals that a good beer league goalie could stop now. That's not to say those guys sucked, but the training, systems, equipment, and science is light years better now.

Although if you put beer league goalies in the gear they used to wear with no helmet and couch cushions for pads I bet they'd dive out of the way of most of those shots! :)

Very true too! Obviously the gear wasn't as light, durable, and yes, large as it is today.

Although if you put beer league goalies in the gear they used to wear with no helmet and couch cushions for pads I bet they'd dive out of the way of most of those shots! :)

I have to agree to that! Personally, I just can't wait for the season to begin... I'm going through withdrawals here!

I have to agree to that! Personally, I just can't wait for the season to begin... I'm going through withdrawals here!

That makes two of use buddy.... I cant wait to start the shit talking about the Red Wings :D

You better watch out, the Wings have Salei now. It's over. That guy is really good...it is still 2003 right?