• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

It's official!

Ok calm down, what I think Nick and myself were discussing is conversations in general not know posted rules like the no politics or religion. He made a point and my counter point was that how is someone to know that it might be a hot point or offensive to someone. He made the point that you are to assume that it might be and I disagree and don’t think open dialogue should be determined by what ifs. Maybe I shouldn’t have used the term free speech because clearly that is a “hot point” for the both of you and clearly you don’t think we should have it here in the four walls of this forum. BTW, I know who started this forum, but thanks for the reminder.
There's a whole lot of judgement going on in that post, but I'll let it go.

"Free speech" is not a hot button topic for me. I just think it gets misinterpreted far too often.

Whether or not I believe we should have "free speech" on CP is moot. It's not my call. I don't own this place. If Rod gives his blessing to politics talk and/or touchy subjects, so be it. That's his prerogative. It's his business and he can conduct it how he wishes.

As I said before, I believe it's up to all of us to make a judgement call on what is and what is not a touchy subject. If someone posts something that they feel is legitimately not a touchy subject, and then is met with comments to keep that subject matter off the board...that is their indication that they may have crossed the line and to proceed with caution, re-think things. Becoming indignant only fuels the fire.

This thread in particular is an example of a topic that, while not explicitly political, is very darn close as everything has been politicized these days. If you're hearing about it on the usual political outlets...don't bring it here. Just my opinion.

There's a whole lot of judgement going on in that post, but I'll let it go.

"Free speech" is not a hot button topic for me. I just think it gets misinterpreted far too often.

Whether or not I believe we should have "free speech" on CP is moot. It's not my call. I don't own this place. If Rod gives his blessing to politics talk and/or touchy subjects, so be it. That's his prerogative. It's his business and he can conduct it how he wishes.

As I said before, I believe it's up to all of us to make a judgement call on what is and what is not a touchy subject. If someone posts something that they feel is legitimately not a touchy subject, and then is met with comments to keep that subject matter off the board...that is their indication that they may have crossed the line and to proceed with caution, re-think things. Becoming indignant only fuels the fire.

This thread in particular is an example of a topic that, while not explicitly political, is very darn close as everything has been politicized these days. If you're hearing about it on the usual political outlets...don't bring it here. Just my opinion.
I'd just add that, while I agree it can be a blurry line, my golf forum that is owner moderated has the same rule about politics and touchy subjects, and I've never seen a thread that approaches breaking the rule despite there being way more members. That leads me to believe that for the most part we really know.

I'd just add that, while I agree it can be a blurry line, my golf forum that is owner moderated has the same rule about politics and touchy subjects, and I've never seen a thread that approaches breaking the rule despite there being way more members. That leads me to believe that for the most part we really know.
Well all I have to say is .... FUCK Golf!