• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need advice on coffee pods/cups/machine

Get a nice grinder to go with your new coffee machine. I have been using a Baratza Virtuoso for several years, has a really wide range of grind sizes and it's easy to adjust. It's gone through a metric shit ton of beans with nary a hiccup.
And knowing when to use each grind..
Get a nice grinder to go with your new coffee machine. I have been using a Baratza Virtuoso for several years, has a really wide range of grind sizes and it's easy to adjust. It's gone through a metric shit ton of beans with nary a hiccup.

So, it seems that we haven’t established if there is a specific size grind of coffee used in each different coffee variety in the standard Nespresso pods. And there isn’t a mention of what different grinds are used in the Nespresso replacement pods. except to use a grinder.
I just assumed that someone who is using the replacement pods, has opened a new one up before using it and examined the size of ground coffee so to ease the correct making of new replacement pods.
EDITED TO ADD:
‘I checked on YouTube and there are various hacks using Nespresso pods.. The one that seemed important explained to grind use a particular coffee grinder, called a BURR type, to have consistent size grounds. To supposedly make a quality cup of coffee and also not to plug the Nespresso maker.

Here is the “Freedom Foil Hack“ for Nespresso using a special BURR coffee grinder they mentioned.

Last edited:
I have this. You can set how much to grind and the type of grind, and simply push a button when you need more. I try to grind enough for the day ... every day.

Screenshot_20211119-093022_Amazon Shopping.jpg

So, it seems that we haven’t established if there is a specific size grind of coffee used in each different coffee variety in the standard Nespresso pods. And there isn’t a mention of what different grinds are used in the Nespresso replacement pods. except to use a grinder.
I just assumed that someone who is using the replacement pods, has opened a new one up before using it and examined the size of ground coffee so to ease the correct making of new replacement pods.
EDITED TO ADD:
‘I checked on YouTube and there are various hacks using Nespresso pods.. The one that seemed important explained to grind use a particular coffee grinder, called a BURR type, to have consistent size grounds. To supposedly make a quality cup of coffee and also not to plug the Nespresso maker.

Here is the “Freedom Foil Hack“ for Nespresso using a special BURR coffee grinder they mentioned.

Jeeez .... do you want us to drink it for you too!😀

Dan .... a couple thoughts.

First .... I never heard of Gaggia

Second .... the machine is more than twice the cost of the Nespresso.

Even though the pods seems to be less money, the hack still makes the Neapresso less in the long run.

All in all, I'd love to try the coffee from the Gaggia to see how they compare.

Oops .... just realized you said Nespresso original. This discussion has all been about Neapresso Vertuo.
Makes sense

EDITED TO ADD:

There are 2 main kinds of coffee grinders for home use, burr grinders and blade grinders. Burr grinders have an inner and outer cone with sharp edges where the beans are fed through the gap between the cone sections to grind the coffee. The inner cone can be moved in/out in small increments to change the grind, and it keeps the grind very consistent.

Blade grinders are like a Cuisinart or blender, they chop the beans up and the size of the grind depends on how long you chop on the beans. They are fast, but getting a consistent grind is not as easy as it is with a burr grinder.

As for size of the grind size for the Nespresso, I'm guessing the espresso grind in the bag at the store would be a good starting point - but you won't have any way to adjust the grind size if it's not right. With a decent grinder, it's simple to change the grind cup to cup if that's what it takes. Once you get the size you like, then it'll grind that size every time.

I have been confused up to this point but I haven't bothered to ask. So is that Expresso or a Cappuccino? I don't like straight expresso, however a nice Cappuccino or a Latte for my wife to add some chocolate to would be awesome! I know they make machines that do everything all in one but I don't think that's what you guys have been talking about right?

I have been confused up to this point but I haven't bothered to ask. So is that Expresso or a Cappuccino? I don't like straight expresso, however a nice Cappuccino or a Latte for my wife to add some chocolate to would be awesome! I know they make machines that do everything all in one but I don't think that's what you guys have been talking about right?
They make espresso, which you add to frothed milk to make lattes and cappuccinos.

That light colored stuff in his cup is part of the espresso, the crema. It's not due to milk or anything, more like superfine coffee bubbles that form when the espresso is brewed properly. Lot's of variables involved in perfecting the crema, so when you see a nice crema layer you usually get pretty decent espresso.

That’s just how the Nespresso machines brew. Every cup has a nice crema layer, similiar to an espresso shot.

They make espresso, which you add to frothed milk to make lattes and cappuccinos.

No, that’s just a cup of coffee, from what I can tell. It’s just how the Nespresso brews. It’s such a high pressured machine, that even a regular cup of coffee, resembles a shot of espresso.

Watching the Nespresso machine make espresso in a clear espresso cup is cool .... you can see the creamy goodness you are about to enjoy!

I read about the stainless pods that is compatible with the Vertuo. All I have read has not be totally positive for that individual stainless size pod that fits into a individual sized capsule used by the Nespresso. It seems the individual tinfoil hacks are far superior.

i have been rethinking my initial post and I am now also considering an option for the purchase of an expresso machine.
I had an old Italian hand press expresso machine many moons ago… it made terrific expresso when I put the time in, but it was a pain over the years due to its lack of ease of use and cleaning.

‘I have been looking into two alternative automated and computerized espresso machines that are less convenient than a Nespresso but will produce a superior shot of espresso without using the pods.
There is always a tradeoff and with using an Nespresso, it is terrific for quickness and convenience.
What is influencing me is the consistent quality expresso coffee produced by the automated Nespresso vs a barista expresso shot produced by a modern automated expresso machine. And the long term investment over a few years using the pods.

Last edited:
Just bought a Nespresso machine. Have any of you tried the stainless, reusable pods?
I read about the stainless pods that is compatible with the Vertuo. All I have read has not be totally positive for that individual stainless size pod that fits into a one individual sized Nespresso capsule. It seems the tinfoil hacks are far superior.

i have been rethinking my initial post and I am now also considering an option for the purchase of an expresso machine.
I had an old Italian hand press expresso machine many moons ago… it made terrific expresso when I put the time in, but it was a pain over the years due to its lack of ease of use and cleaning.

‘I have been looking into two alternative automated and computerized espresso machines that are less convenient than a Nespresso but will produce a superior shot of expresso without using the pods.
There is always a tradeoff and using an Nespresso is terrific for quickness and convenience.
What is influencing me is the consistent quality expresso coffee produced by the automated Nespresso vs a barista expresso shot produced by a modern automated expresso machine. And the long term costs over a few years using the pods.

I read about the stainless pods that is compatible with the Vertuo. All I have read has not be totally positive for that individual stainless size pod that fits into a one individual sized Nespresso capsule. It seems the tinfoil hacks are far superior.

‘I have been looking into two alternative automated and computerized espresso machines that are less convenient than a Nespresso but will produce a superior shot of expresso without using the pods.
There is always a tradeoff and using an Nespresso is terrific for quickness and convenience.
What is influencing me is the consistent quality expresso coffee produced by the automated Nespresso vs a barista expresso shot produced by a modern automated expresso machine. And the long term costs over a few years using the pods.
Is it a LA Pavoni?

I hate to sound self righteous but at 9%-34% hippie depending on the sin I’m about to commit, I say these keurigs are just another recycling problem to keep up with. A cheap four cup coffe maker, who only drinks 8 ounces at a time anyway, and your fav dark roast makes the best cup of cowboy coffee. Thick enough to float a horseshoe.