• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need advice on coffee pods/cups/machine

Is it a LA Pavoni?
Amazing, yes it was, that old style Italian hand pull machine….there wasn’t the computer forums, help websites or YouTube to give you the assistance needed to use these machines properly Especially the Pavoni, when the handle that pushed the spring down to apply pressure to the coffee puck. These machines continued to provide steam pressure due to the lack of a vacuum release valve…So, I was constantly making a complete mess with coffee all over the kitchen and me when I released the Portofilter to quickly.

I hate to sound self righteous but at 9%-34% hippie depending on the sin I’m about to commit, I say these keurigs are just another recycling problem to keep up with. A cheap four cup coffe maker, who only drinks 8 ounces at a time anyway, and your fav dark roast makes the best cup of cowboy coffee. Thick enough to float a horseshoe.
I agree! Just more plastic to end up in our oceans. I’m curious to see if they follow Nespresso’s lead and make it easy to send the pods back. Nespresso sends you prepaid shipping bags with your pod orders. All you have to do is put the used aluminum pods in the bag and send them bag once full. They recycle them.

Amazing, yes it was, that old style Italian hand pull machine….there wasn’t the computer forums, help websites or YouTube to give you the assistance needed to use these machines properly Especially the Pavoni, when the handle that pushed the spring down to apply pressure to the coffee puck. These machines continued to provide steam pressure due to the lack of a vacuum release valve…So, I was constantly making a complete mess with coffee all over the kitchen and me when I released the Portofilter to quickly.
I've been eyeing one of those for years, some day I'll splurge on one. The best cup of coffee I've ever had was brewed on one, and I've been wanting ever since.

We'll see how big of a pain in the ass refilling them is once I run out.

Yep, that’s the only drawback. The Targets around here carry the Starbucks pods, so do Bed/Bath/Beyond. I need to pull the trigger on the replacement tops and see if I can make it work.

Yep, that’s the only drawback. The Targets around here carry the Starbucks pods, so do Bed/Bath/Beyond. I need to pull the trigger on the replacement tops and see if I can make it work.
I meant refilling the old pods with my own coffee. Checked both those places here yesterday, they had the 8oz and single shot pods.

So, I have considered all the options and have almost decided on purchasing a old time (like me) expresso direct lever machine.
I keep vacillating on which machine I should purchase, the cost, and do I want to have another hobby or time consuming item to deal with.
My good friend has a beautiful expresso machine and I was blown away with the amazing coffee expresso drinks that he produces.
Really GOOD…
Anyone else have an expresso machine at home.

So, I have considered all the options and have almost decided on purchasing a old time (like me) expresso direct lever machine.
I keep vacillating on which machine I should purchase, the cost, and do I want to have another hobby or time consuming item to deal with.
My good friend has a beautiful expresso machine and I was blown away with the amazing coffee expresso drinks that he produces.
Really GOOD…

I wish I did, but damn are they expensive. I have the Moka pot, but it doesn’t produce anything to be excited about. The Nespresso does a great espresso, but nothing is like a good espresso, from a good machine.

I wish I did, but damn are they expensive. I have the Moka pot, but it doesn’t produce anything to be excited about. The Nespresso does a great espresso, but nothing is like a good espresso, from a good machine.
While I was do my overkill research on expresso machines,

I came across an old buddy of mine. During the early days of TV sales I purchased a Ninja coffer maker. It was a terrific item with all kinds of options..
It broke after a couple of years and QVC with their terrific warranty- replaced it without any questions.

Now, there is a another super deluxe ‘NIJA‘ that I came across by accident, that I want to share.

It has a regular fresh coffee brew basket, Plus, it also has a Kcup device included that dispenses in 4 different sizes, Plus, it dispenses hot water from a separate area at a hot 205 Fahrenheit.
The regular fresh coffee brewer dispenses 9 different amounts of coffee, depending on how much coffee is wanted at your desired strength and what cup or vessel size is desired.
It dispenses water over fresh coffee according to the gold standard of the SCA Standards Committee .(specially coffee association)
Only a few small number of auto coffee machines meet their standards.
There are more other detailed items I could mention. ( Even a milk frother.) But just to many.… If interested there is a video that details them…
It is also on Amazon now.

Used to do French press but got tired of it. Bought a Ninja Hot & Cold Coffee maker and I have never drank so much coffee in my life.

@Oldmancigar if you get it let us know how it goes wr have some fans here of that model.
I'm going to throw in the ninja coffee bar, it's nice to have the flexibility to use pods or your own.

Few different ones out there.

Really GOOD…
I have the Gaggia Classic pro , love it but at times I wish I would have gotten something nicer

I have the Gaggia Classic pro , love it but at times I wish I would have gotten something nicer
That’s one of the company’s trade mark machines…Gaggia Co invented the modern expresso machine in the 1930’s.
Yes, it was a very inexpensive express machine. But..It brought a whole new group of people into making expresso/cappuccino at home.
And it made a terrific coffee shot for the price. I hope you bought your machine before it was decided to manufacture them in Romania.😎
Take care of it and it will make great coffee for years to come. (descale the machine)
Get yourself a good hand grinder and buy some local freshly roasted coffee to make some custom coffee shots/cappuccino drinks.
Then you’ll find out what a truly great machine you have.

I'm going to throw in the ninja coffee bar, it's nice to have the flexibility to use pods or your own.

WOW, exactly..

You would not think, that a QVC coffee machine would make a great cup oh coffee.
But this machine will produce a quality cup of coffee.with some additional help.
They (Ninja) have incorporated in their machine their ‘specialty coffee brewing system’ It has a “bloom wait time”. programmed in.
The coffee is wetted down and then is steeps for a minute to let the coffee rid itself of it‘s co2 gases and begin the brewing process.
Then it starts again with 105 degree water,
SLOWLY watering the coffee grains using a special shower head to incorporate all the coffee to the hot water. ‘A Barista’s dream’
All you’ll need now is some good water and freshly roasted coffee, which was measured and ground immediately before brewing,
to make a fantastic cup of coffee that will be unforgettable with your Cohiba.

I am not that smart when it comes to fancy coffee, I drink my coffee black. My wife buys Mocha latte's from starbucks and I am trying to stop that. If I bought a nespresso machine, a milk frother, and chocolate syrup (we already have this in the house for other activities) can she make herself a Mocha latte ??? Which Nespresso machine should I get, I hear one of them leaks...

I dig it. Just ordered some double shot espresso pods, the singles don't hold up to adding any milk. I like the 8oz pods.

We'll see how big of a pain in the ass refilling them is once I run out.
Justin, I find that refilling is not an issue at all. Spend a few minutes looking on Amazon for the foil lids and make sure they are for the Vertuo pods (if that's what your machine is). Carefully cut the original foil lid off and observe the grind size and the hole in the middle caused by the centrifugal force spinning. Try to duplicate the grind size and you will know when you've got the right amount of coffee because the hole size will be the same as the original pod. Once you cut the original foil lid off a few pods, you can use them indefinitely ..... after a bunch of times they might stick in the machine a bit from being forced down by the head, so you may have to tap it to make it pop up. Trow that one away and use a new empty pod. Buy the kit in the pic below, it's a huge help! After you are set up .............
  1. I push the button on my grinder
  2. I have a small spoon I use to fill the empty pod
  3. I tap the filled pod on the counter to settle the coffee
  4. I put the foil lid on
  5. I insert the pod and push brew
POD kit.png
I still have a healthy supply of Nespresso pods for when I want a certain coffee of theirs, or when I am feeling lazy, and I save them all for reuse.