• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Nostalgia Playlist

I remember snagging a pair of Boston Acoustics HD-9 speakers for next to nothing because "Acoustics" was mis-spelled on Ebay. I had 3 or 4 pairs marked and was watching them daily, I came home one night and typed in Boston Acustics by accident and 2 or 3 listing came up. There were usually 100's of listings and I wondered what had happened. I realized I spelled it wrong but there was a set of the exact speakers I wanted for about 20% of the going price because nobody was seeing the listing and therefore no bids. :)

Was it post-vinyl technology? Were the mix tapes @Jared Nomack had recorded from records? Prior to the other day, I never knew it existed...
I do have a few original recordings on tape, but most of mine are recordings of records from the original owner... The way I understand it, was people use to buy a record and then record that record to tape, for two reasons mainly. 1) You would then be able to save the condition of your albums by not having to handle them over and over. 2) You could put dozens of albums on one tape for hours of music without having to flip albums and change them out... If I am wrong about that, I am sure someone with more knowledge will correct me...

I do have a few original recordings on tape, but most of mine are recordings of records from the original owner... The way I understand it, was people use to buy a record and then record that record to tape, for two reasons mainly. 1) You would then be able to save the condition of your albums by not having to handle them over and over. 2) You could put dozens of albums on one tape for hours of music without having to flip albums and change them out... If I am wrong about that, I am sure someone with more knowledge will correct me...

Correct. I did this with all my new albums in the 70's, using a Teac reel-to-reel, a Dual 1229 turntable and a Pioneer SX-850 tube amp (played through JBL Century L-100 speakers). Many people did this, and that's why there are so many old mix tapes around. Quality is usually very good. The studios used to also produce a limited number of R2R tapes for many new albums on release, and record stores (yeah, kids, they used to have stores just to sell records) would have a R2R section, the tapes cost more than vinyl but not much more. Those originals are kind of hard to find now, I have a few dozen. Some fetch a very high price.

Also, Back In The Day, there were actually good radio stations on FM, playing what is now called "classic rock", often for hours without interruption. People would put on a 10 1/2 inch tape and record for hours. I have a bunch of those, and they're like mix tapes with some "DJ" choosing the mix. Some are really good.

Also sometimes people would record live performances on R2R tapes, I have one of Joan Baez in some little bar from around 1962, the sound is amazing (as is she).

There is absolutely no question in my mind that analog sound is *vastly* better than digital. Everyone knew this at the outset, digital was a convenience thing. But you have to have the right equipment to get the sound. Young people these days wouldn't know good sound if it hit them in the face. Which it won't, because it's almost extinct. Except at my house (and TT's)...

This is not a current pic, I have more stuff in this system, but this is basically my home setup. reclaiming my misspent youth - the JBL's were a real find and sound incredible.

20200508_215048 (2).jpg

I remembered recording the radio on to cassette tapes, does that count? Also, old enough to remember music stores, but I was buying cassettes and CDs, was always the highlight of trips to the "big city".

I remembered recording the radio on to cassette tapes, does that count? Also, old enough to remember music stores, but I was buying cassettes and CDs, was always the highlight of trips to the "big city".

Hey it's better than listening to music thru an iPhone. Which is what my kids do.

Cassettes can actually produce very good sound, but again, it depends on the equipment. The cassette tape deck on the shelf under the smaller R2R in the pic above is a Teac C-3RX, a very fine deck, rebuilt (incuding new heads) by one of the best Teac techs still living today. I've put on the same album in original recordings running simultaneously on that machine, the Pioneer 707 above it, and the Music Hall turntable in the pic (my one concession to new equipment), and used the switch box to move back and forth, and people can't tell the difference between the R2R and the cassette (the vinyl is always distinguishable). Problem with cassettes is, the world was plagued with billions of cheap ones, and garbage tape decks that like to eat tapes...

I hate downloading albums that I've loved in the past and just not getting the same sonic experience I'm expecting.

Moody Blues, Every Good Boy Deserves Favor. An ode to the early years of any student's music studies (EGBDF) (as all who know will know). A tremendous album. This is an original tape at 7 1/2, and sounds amazing. Note the little "subscription" card still in the box, all yellowed.

I only saw the Moody Blues once, I think it was 1974. The performance was all electric, and mind-blowing. This was a band that could walk the walk. One of the greatest rock bands ever. I have all their albums on vinyl of course, and several on original R2R tape. Through a proper system, this tape will rock your soul.

20210520_173734.jpg

Moody Blues, Every Good Boy Deserves Favor. An ode to the early years of any student's music studies (EGBDF) (as all who know will know). A tremendous album. This is an original tape at 7 1/2, and sounds amazing. Note the little "subscription" card still in the box, all yellowed.

I only saw the Moody Blues once, I think it was 1974. The performance was all electric, and mind-blowing. This was a band that could walk the walk. One of the greatest rock bands ever. I have all their albums on vinyl of course, and several on original R2R tape. Through a proper system, this tape will rock your soul.

View attachment 42739

do you have any Floyd or Zeppelin in this format.?

do you have any Floyd or Zeppelin in this format.?

I don't think so, although I have a vague image of Zep II in a tape box. Have to check. I think I have some homemade Floyd on R2R, but no originals. There was a guy selling what appeared to be quality bootlegs of Floyd out of Russia for a while, including full album art on the boxes etc. Prices were a little high for my taste. Now and then you'll see a DSOTM or something come up on an auction site, generally fetching nearly the price of a good tape deck. I have enough vinyl to keep my happy, so not going for those prices.

I don't think so, although I have a vague image of Zep II in a tape box. Have to check. I think I have some homemade Floyd on R2R, but no originals. There was a guy selling what appeared to be quality bootlegs of Floyd out of Russia for a while, including full album art on the boxes etc. Prices were a little high for my taste. Now and then you'll see a DSOTM or something come up on an auction site, generally fetching nearly the price of a good tape deck. I have enough vinyl to keep my happy, so not going for those prices.
I heard a few Zeppelin albums on vinyl. But don’t remember if I ever listened to Floyd on vinyl. In my limited experience blues and soul is where vinyl really shines. Curious what your thoughts are on Floyd or other psychedelic hits on vinyl vs digital

I heard a few Zeppelin albums on vinyl. But don’t remember if I ever listened to Floyd on vinyl. In my limited experience blues and soul is where vinyl really shines. Curious what your thoughts are on Floyd or other psychedelic hits on vinyl vs digital

Very good question. The very good answer is, it depends.

Personally, I have never liked the sound of digital media. It has always sounded flat to me. Some SACD's come close to being good, but imo nothing can equal analog sound.

But, and that's a Big Butt (that's what ... somebody said), it depends heavily on the equipment, *and* on the specific media. I've been a huge Pink Floyd fan for a long time (bought Ummagumma about the time it came out, remember DSOTM being released and saw them on the DSOTM tour). I'm pretty picky about the sound quality with Floyd. I have most of their LP's on 180 or 200 gram reissues, some in the originals, and variations. (IMO the heavy discs are usually no better than the originals, sometimes worse due to inferior modern pressing issues - I have clients in the vinyl industry and it's a constant problem.) Like many people, my way of "testing" a sound system is with a good, clean, clear copy of DSOTM on vinyl.

But it is very hard to get your hands on a perfect copy. I don't know how many copies I presently have, for a while there I was on a mission to find a perfect one. You mostly have to settle for "close". That said, I'd rather listen to a "close" copy of DSOTM (or anything for that matter) on vinyl than a "perfect" digital version, regardless of the system it is played through. There's just no depth with digital. You're about my age, right? I remember when CD's came out - no one, I mean *no one* even dared to suggest that they would produce the quality of sound of vinyl or tape. It was all about convenience. Yet, here they came. And then the iPods and the "streaming services" etc. (I understand some of the streaming services are impressive, and I know one long-time analog aficionado (and tech) who swears by them; but I have never been moved by any of it.)

While I understand your perspective on blues and soul on vinyl, I have a different view. I've got good ole country on vinyl, classic rock, pop music, musical theatre, opera, ballet etc., it's amazing stuff. I have Wagner's Ring in at least three or four different media, including good CD's, I'll take my original 1950s Solti on vinyl *any time*. Kind of Blue or Sketches of Spain, same. I could go on (at horrendous length :) ).

My home system is down right now, I'm integrating some new pieces and trying to replace all the cords with homemade. But when it's back up, we'll have to have a sit-down in the Man Cave and let me demonstrate.

Sorry you asked? :)

Very good question. The very good answer is, it depends.

Personally, I have never liked the sound of digital media. It has always sounded flat to me. Some SACD's come close to being good, but imo nothing can equal analog sound.

But, and that's a Big Butt (that's what ... somebody said), it depends heavily on the equipment, *and* on the specific media. I've been a huge Pink Floyd fan for a long time (bought Ummagumma about the time it came out, remember DSOTM being released and saw them on the DSOTM tour). I'm pretty picky about the sound quality with Floyd. I have most of their LP's on 180 or 200 gram reissues, some in the originals, and variations. (IMO the heavy discs are usually no better than the originals, sometimes worse due to inferior modern pressing issues - I have clients in the vinyl industry and it's a constant problem.) Like many people, my way of "testing" a sound system is with a good, clean, clear copy of DSOTM on vinyl.

But it is very hard to get your hands on a perfect copy. I don't know how many copies I presently have, for a while there I was on a mission to find a perfect one. You mostly have to settle for "close". That said, I'd rather listen to a "close" copy of DSOTM (or anything for that matter) on vinyl than a "perfect" digital version, regardless of the system it is played through. There's just no depth with digital. You're about my age, right? I remember when CD's came out - no one, I mean *no one* even dared to suggest that they would produce the quality of sound of vinyl or tape. It was all about convenience. Yet, here they came. And then the iPods and the "streaming services" etc. (I understand some of the streaming services are impressive, and I know one long-time analog aficionado (and tech) who swears by them; but I have never been moved by any of it.)

While I understand your perspective on blues and soul on vinyl, I have a different view. I've got good ole country on vinyl, classic rock, pop music, musical theatre, opera, ballet etc., it's amazing stuff. I have Wagner's Ring in at least three or four different media, including good CD's, I'll take my original 1950s Solti on vinyl *any time*. Kind of Blue or Sketches of Spain, same. I could go on (at horrendous length :) ).

My home system is down right now, I'm integrating some new pieces and trying to replace all the cords with homemade. But when it's back up, we'll have to have a sit-down in the Man Cave and let me demonstrate.

Sorry you asked? :)

actually quite glad I asked. Your answer is very thoughtful and educating. And now to the Man Cave for the practical part 👍

My first real stereo when I made enough to buy stuff was a Sansui G-9700 and a pair of JBL L150 speakers. Later upgraded (sidegraded?) to a pair of L220, then a pair of 250Ti. Still have the 250Ti but they need a good refurb at this point.

I bought about 1000 jazz albums from a radio station, they are in very good condition considering - maybe jazz DJs are more careful, there's a play log sticker on each cover that shows how many times it was played.

I had a Marantz cassette deck, we'd record the couple of good songs per album from a few albums and have our "mix tape" - we never called them that.

All that gear is gone now (except the 250Ti). I do have a couple of turntables and a VPI record cleaning machine and enjoy spinning albums now and then.