• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock is Back!

I'm picking up a case of this if anyone is interested...

You have issues man... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Just came home with my case yesterday! I am splitting it 3 ways, though, but I got the PA case discount price w/ no ridiculous mark up. How's that for issues?

I'm just anxious to hear your opinion of it. I've never been real impressed with any SA beer I've had.
You're not enough of a hophead to appreciate the Hallertau Imperial Pilsner, which I think is pretty damn good. The Holiday Porter and Old Fezziwig are nice seasonals, too.

I've had the Fezziwig and Porter, neither of them are bad, just nothing I'd go out of my way to get. I know a lot of people love SA, just not my thing I guess, kinda like Rogue.

What is everyone paying for this... I have a local that has it for 14.99. Probably only 4-6 bottles. Let me know if your interested

I got this case for $14.99/bottle, I actually found a distributer that is not gouging us at all.

I cant find any around me.

It actually too me a little while to find it around here, I made some calls and then finally got fed up enough to call the importer in the area that supplies the distributors here. I found out that Pa and NY had it for 3 weeks now and had a distributer order it for me and I still drove over 45 min to get to them. I have to say that it was worth the wait and drive to get it, as far as I an concerned

Marc and I picked up a bottle for around $13 this week and had it last night. Pretty disappointing to tell the truth. I don't know what I was expecting, but I found it to be flat and rather dull. Oh well...we did pick up some Sierra Neveda Porter and I wish we would've picked up another 6er of that instead.

What is everyone paying for this... I have a local that has it for 14.99. Probably only 4-6 bottles. Let me know if your interested
$15 a bottle is about right. My case with tax was just shy of $180. I haven't had any yet this year, but I'll report back when I try it.

Oak Tree in NJ carries it for 14.99 as well, but no bottle limit. I was there Wednesday and they had about 4 cases left, plus the display

Marc and I picked up a bottle for around $13 this week and had it last night. Pretty disappointing to tell the truth. I don't know what I was expecting, but I found it to be flat and rather dull. Oh well...we did pick up some Sierra Neveda Porter and I wish we would've picked up another 6er of that instead.

I'm with you here Mike. I picked up two earlier today for $16 a piece. I was very disappointed. After having the Rogue's Chocolate Stout last week...I don't think there is any comparison as far as my taste buds are concerned. Oh well. I was excited at least. :) You don't win them all.

I'm with you here Mike. I picked up two earlier today for $16 a piece. I was very disappointed. After having the Rogue's Chocolate Stout last week...I don't think there is any comparison as far as my taste buds are concerned. Oh well. I was excited at least. :) You don't win them all.

It's funny, I started this thread, and I agree 100%. I received a bottle a few years ago, and loved it. I picked up one a few weeks ago for $14.99, and a few bottles of the Rogue Chocolate Stout for 4.99, and the Rogue just blew it away. Granted, different styles, but still.

I just picked up two bottles at the Stop and Shop last night. I was amased that it was right alongside the bud and coors

I had 3 with a buddy of mine over Thanksgiving break. Let me tell you, my buddy fell in love with it. I thought it was ok. I am willing to give it a go once more to see if I can reach the love that my buddy has on the beer. But I thank this thread for informing me on this beer or else I wouldn't of thought twice about buying it.

David

I was at my local watering hole yesterday. And as luck would have it they had the SA Chocolate Bock on Tap. Served in a Tulip SA glass. It was chocolate seduction! :love:

1000% better than bottle form!

--Also guys remember when drinking this beer PLEASE drink it in the correct glass.. ( A Tulip glass..if in a pinch a brandy/cognac glass)

It's funny, I started this thread, and I agree 100%. I received a bottle a few years ago, and loved it. I picked up one a few weeks ago for $14.99, and a few bottles of the Rogue Chocolate Stout for 4.99, and the Rogue just blew it away. Granted, different styles, but still.

x3 ... or is it x4? I don't know what I was expecting but I was pretty disappointed. I picked up one more bottle just to make sure I'm right. It's going for $13.99 by me. To tell you the truth, the Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout was much better! I should've gotten more while I had the chance. Now I can't find it anywhere! :(

$175 a case of 12, or $14.59 per beer... plus tax, deposit, etc. I picked up a bunch of these to stash away (and yes, MindRiot, you've been taken care of).

I'm sipping on one right now... I like these quite a bit. I think there are a bunch of other microbrews in the USA that are as good or better... but it's a variety thing. Sometimes you crave this, sometimes you crave that.

You could be eating the best steak in the world, but you're not going to want to eat it every day for months on end. Variety is important, as is mood, pairings, etc. That's why I don't really think there is any one best beer or cigar or what have you.

I think there are a bunch of other microbrews in the USA that are as good or better... but it's a variety thing. Sometimes you crave this, sometimes you crave that.

You could be eating the best steak in the world, but you're not going to want to eat it every day for months on end. Variety is important, as is mood, pairings, etc. That's why I don't really think there is any one best beer or cigar or what have you.

I agree totally Moki. Variety is the spice of life. I was just a little surprised that I didn't enjoy this Sam Adams as much as any other. I'm a Sam Adams fanatic. It just didn't hit me right I suppose. I have another one that I can and will give another shot at a later date. But going back to what you said, you can't sell yourself out on one or two types of anything and call it good. I was mostly commenting on how much more the Rogue beer was to my palate at the time.

In terms of the Tulip glass, I have never heard about this. I suppose I don't know near enough about drinking containers. :) I'll have to research this and check it out. Thanks for the tip. :D

Young's Double Chocolate stout's the way to go. Can't go wrong with Samuel Adams though... always a good decision.

$175 a case of 12, or $14.59 per beer... plus tax, deposit, etc. I picked up a bunch of these to stash away (and yes, MindRiot, you've been taken care of).

I'm sipping on one right now... I like these quite a bit. I think there are a bunch of other microbrews in the USA that are as good or better... but it's a variety thing. Sometimes you crave this, sometimes you crave that.

Not to change the subject or anything, but HOLY CRAP...moki's in the Beer room!

What a nice treat for the holidays! :thumbs:

In terms of the Tulip glass, I have never heard about this. I suppose I don't know near enough about drinking containers. :) I'll have to research this and check it out. Thanks for the tip. :D

If you're interested in a primer on glassware, check out this page on BeerAdvocate.com.

A good "starter set" would include an Imperial (nonic) pint glass, a tulip glass, and a snifter. This should cover about 90% of your beer drinking needs rather well. From there you can add a pilsner, chalice (for the Belgians), and a weizen and be pretty much set from there. For what it's worth, I'd probably quaff this brew in a snifter.

--Also guys remember when drinking this beer PLEASE drink it in the correct glass.. ( A Tulip glass..if in a pinch a brandy/cognac glass)

I did, and it still tasted like a Bud Light that had a piece of chocalate slipped into it ???

I agree with you, but its the price point that really mucks it up. If your saying this is one of the best in its style, money isn't an about. But saying there are plenty better in the style class for 1/3 the price is another thing. If this was even in the 9.99 range, I would feel much better about it.