• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock is Back!

What is everyone paying for this... I have a local that has it for 14.99. Probably only 4-6 bottles. Let me know if your interested

$175 a case of 12, or $14.59 per beer... plus tax, deposit, etc. I picked up a bunch of these to stash away (and yes, MindRiot, you've been taken care of).

I'm sipping on one right now... I like these quite a bit. I think there are a bunch of other microbrews in the USA that are as good or better... but it's a variety thing. Sometimes you crave this, sometimes you crave that.

You could be eating the best steak in the world, but you're not going to want to eat it every day for months on end. Variety is important, as is mood, pairings, etc. That's why I don't really think there is any one best beer or cigar or what have you.

I agree with you, but its the price point that really mucks it up. If your saying this is one of the best in its style, money isn't an about. But saying there are plenty better in the style class for 1/3 the price is another thing. If this was even in the 9.99 range, I would feel much better about it.

Ok heading back to the watering hole. Need to try SA again. This time Im going to let it get to a little above room temp. And see how much better it gets!

I bought a couple of bottles of the Sam Adams last week and enjoyed it. I think that there are better chocolate stouts out there (Young's and Rogue), but I enjoy seeing out some other brewers add their own touch to the beer. At $16/bottle via my local B+M, I think I'll keep 1 or 2 bottles for future drinking, but it wont make it to the top of my list of daily beers.

What is everyone paying for this... I have a local that has it for 14.99. Probably only 4-6 bottles. Let me know if your interested

$175 a case of 12, or $14.59 per beer... plus tax, deposit, etc. I picked up a bunch of these to stash away (and yes, MindRiot, you've been taken care of).

I'm sipping on one right now... I like these quite a bit. I think there are a bunch of other microbrews in the USA that are as good or better... but it's a variety thing. Sometimes you crave this, sometimes you crave that.

You could be eating the best steak in the world, but you're not going to want to eat it every day for months on end. Variety is important, as is mood, pairings, etc. That's why I don't really think there is any one best beer or cigar or what have you.

If you're interested in a primer on glassware, check out this page on BeerAdvocate.com.

A good "starter set" would include an Imperial (nonic) pint glass, a tulip glass, and a snifter. This should cover about 90% of your beer drinking needs rather well. From there you can add a pilsner, chalice (for the Belgians), and a weizen and be pretty much set from there. For what it's worth, I'd probably quaff this brew in a snifter.

Thank you for the advice. I definitely appreciate it. I found that web page yesterday by doing a little searching and I can certainly say it is fantastic. I have a LOT to learn. :)

I bought a couple of bottles of the Sam Adams last week and enjoyed it. I think that there are better chocolate stouts out there (Young's and Rogue), but I enjoy seeing out some other brewers add their own touch to the beer. At $16/bottle via my local B+M, I think I'll keep 1 or 2 bottles for future drinking, but it wont make it to the top of my list of daily beers.
Gents...this is a Chocolate BOCK, not a stout or a porter. A bock is a lager, stouts and porters are ales. I'm not saying this beer is the be-all-to-end-all, it certainly isn't. But saying that Young's Double Chocolate Stout or some other cocoa-infused ale is better than this is really comparing apples to oranges. Not all chocolate beers are created equal. Most of the brews this one has been compared to in this thread are of a completely different style. I can't think of any other beer that is quite like this one (not many out there adding chocolate to lagers), which is maybe why the only basis of comparison most of us have is how a stout or porter should taste.

Carry on...

Gents...this is a Chocolate BOCK, not a stout or a porter. A bock is a lager, stouts and porters are ales. I'm not saying this beer is the be-all-to-end-all, it certainly isn't. But saying that Young's Double Chocolate Stout or some other cocoa-infused ale is better than this is really comparing apples to oranges. Not all chocolate beers are created equal. Most of the brews this one has been compared to in this thread are of a completely different style. I can't think of any other beer that is quite like this one (not many out there adding chocolate to lagers), which is maybe why the only basis of comparison most of us have is how a stout or porter should taste.

Carry on...

Lagers suck :p

Carry on...

I'll be sure to keep all my doppelbocks and maibocks to myself then, malt-head ;)

That is some good stuff imho. Andrew sent me some and now I owe him big time!!! Well 1 bottle down but it was worth it. Now off to find the holy grail of cigars to pay Moki back. :) Thanks again Andrew.

Kevin

Carry on...

The problem is the price. If I am going to pay $16 for a bottle of beer, it either needs to be something outstanding and innovative, like a bottle of La Folie which is only 6% ABV, or something big and extremely satisfying, like a Gouden Carolus Carolus D'Or - Cuvée Van De Keizer. I understand this criteria is subjective to the individual, so SA Chocolate Bock might be worth it for some. For me it is just OK, and not even one of the better bocks on the market. Philly Mike does have a point, it is a bock and keeping the conversation within the style seems fair, however when you put that price tag on it people expect more than just a pretty good bock.

Carry on...

I agree here, all the beers compared to the SA has been a darker heavier brew. The SA is what it is, a lager like said here, it is a nice smooth rich lager and has a real nice chocolate finish which a lot of people enjoy, like I do. I do enjoy nice heave almost chewable beers along with a lot here, but as far as the SA is concerned it is what it is.

I just had another bottle of this the other night and I almost think I liked it when I drank it at room temp more than cold. Ill have to give it another try to see what I think. I am still debating if I want to spend the money on a case even though my cost will only be $135 which puts each bottle at around $11. Still a lot of money to spend on beer but I do love my beer!!

Well after weeks of hounding the local supply house i finally landed some Chocolate Bock. Im not sure if it was worth the wait but ill try it again just to be sure. The price was not bad at all here. $11.99

WOW ... OMG I am sipping on my first SACB and I LOVE IT! this is an excellent brew.

Can this beer be aged?

I had a bottle of the first release with a couple of years on it, and it seemed worse for the wear. I don't think there is enough alcohol there. Also it's not bottle conditioned. I'm not a big fan, so YMMV.

Found a bottle today and just now polished it off.

Probably my least favorite Sam Adams beer to date. I won't be wasting my time nor money next year.

Fun to try new things though.

I haven't found any yet :(

But, Tomorrow, I'm going to the bigger city, 20 miles north of me. If I find it, I'd like to get some to keep for a while.
As far as keeping some for any amount of time, how long can I expect to keep some, and still get the best it has to offer?
I don't know if these will be dated like othe SA products.

Came across some at World Market right before Yule and bought a bottle . . . then went back two days later intent on buying up the rest they had, only to find out, of course, that it was all long gone. :(

Really enjoyed it; thought it was just a fantastic beer. But I'm mostly a bock drinker when it comes to beers anyway . . . while I certainly enjoy a good stout, porter, or ale, my go-to beers all come from Shiner, Texas.

~Boar

I saw some recently at $14.99 + tax.

I contemplated it for a while, but decided against it because of the price tag. I could buy a decent bottle of same size vodka for the price point. Although based on the reviews, I may have to stop back for a single bottle. If anyone is having trouble finding them, I saw a case or two worth.