• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Clock'idor project has begun

All of you, thanks for the heads up on the LED's. I looked at a couple and am still trying to figure out what I like best.
Ryan, good to see you back. I thought about going with purple heart wood for effect but the smell just wasn't there ;)

Its good to be back! rp

not really into clocks but thats my kinda clock! nice job and thanks for sharing the project.

All of you, thanks for the heads up on the LED's. I looked at a couple and am still trying to figure out what I like best.
Ryan, good to see you back. I thought about going with purple heart wood for effect but the smell just wasn't there ;)
The clock is an awesome looking piece that means a lot to me for various reasons, the people I bought it from were worried it wouldn't be taken care of. I wish they appreciated cigars or I would have to show them. This will no doubt last for many years and yes I will be trying to figure out how to make the clock work. Right now it's set for December 25th, at 9pm with a bit of full moon showing. I usually get to smoke about 9pm on nights that I can and if it's always Christmas then how great is that!
Steamboat, that is an awesome gesture that I definately don't deserve and would take a very long time to "giveback" the love. I was able to scrape this togther for just under $150 by hawking some stuff on craigslist and listening to the wife go on about me always messing with that stupid clock.
You all here inspired me to do this and my pics just don't show how cool it looks in my basement!

Give it forward, not back.

X2, oh yea and BTW...........
DC# 0308 1400 0001 8867 8567

You desirve it brother, enjoy and the clock-o-dor really came out nicely.

Thanks for all the comments and everything guys!

Quick update...

It's been since Monday I've been wiping and spraying down the wood. I've gone through almost a 1/2 gallon of distilled water and I have the beads in 2 separate containers and then a bowl with a sponge. I have one fan that is temporary until I raid some broken computers.
Holding at 77% and the temp varie only a few degrees between about 66 and 69. I think this weekend I'll pull out the bowl with the sponge and see what happens to the humidity. Not sure how much longer it should set and stabilize but I'm thinking through the middle to end of next week.
Any thoughts on it are appreciated.

yeah I think you should be good pulling the sponge out the beads should keep it stable now rp

Very nice clock humi you built there brother, definitely an eye catcher........ :) :thumbs: :cool:

Thanks for all the comments and everything guys!

Quick update...

It's been since Monday I've been wiping and spraying down the wood. I've gone through almost a 1/2 gallon of distilled water and I have the beads in 2 separate containers and then a bowl with a sponge. I have one fan that is temporary until I raid some broken computers.
Holding at 77% and the temp varies only a few degrees between about 66 and 69. I think this weekend I'll pull out the bowl with the sponge and see what happens to the humidity. Not sure how much longer it should set and stabilize but I'm thinking through the middle to end of next week.
Any thoughts on it are appreciated.
Kevin, if you aren't pressed for space and don't need to move into your new cigar home immediately, given the unconventional nature of the original unit, I'd give it some time so you can monitor it's activity over a longer period of time. Now that we are headed into the colder months and the heat kicks on more often, see how the humidity level holds in this drier environment. All you want to do is eliminate the possibility of large humidity fluctuations so you don't endanger your babies!

That thing is awesome...what a work of art. Unique and functional, you did a great job.

Meant to get in here last week with the comment, but let it slip my cross check...Kevin went to the trouble of no less than 3 emails to me trying to find a way around the filter here (I can't see any pics in the threads) so I could share the spectacle. I need to chime in publicly with a very, very well done, dude. That clockidor rocks, and you done real good fer yesself! *sniff* I’m gettin’ a little misty here….

Trey

Glad I could get them to you Trey.
The humi today finally seemed to stabilize a bit. I'm going to see what happens overnight and maybe load it in the AM. Of course if that happens pics will follow.

Did you weatherstrip the door? I couldn't see it on the pics and I'm kinda curious as to how well it seals. I may have to copy your idea in the near future too! :whistling: I agree with ironpeddler: I wouldn't rush into loading it up before I knew how well it performed. I'd wait a couple weeks to fully convert.

Derek

Derek the door has minimal weather stripping. It's too tight for the skinny stuff I found. My humi is very full right now due to recent boxes received by the fine people here! I have some pics to put up of the hygrometers...

PICT2188.jpg

PICT2187.jpg

Pics with it loaded, a few changes to make, velcroed the hygrometers to the back wall, need one more of those. I go back and forth with the fans to help stablize right now. I will be replacing the black dishes with shot glasses once I find the right box. Next time I'm in NYC I'll pick up a cool little one there as it's one of my and my sons favorite towns. I would love to move there but it's not gonna happen. The very bottom has room for a few boxes in addition to the computer fan that is down there and used only when needed.

PICT2191.jpg

following pic is top shelf and so on down...

PICT2192.jpg

PICT2193.jpg

PICT2194.jpg