• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today’s Smoke 2018

I had an unbanded stick that a friend gave me. No clue what it is. He didn't know, either, but had been given it by another guy we know who tends to have a pretty well-stocked CC and high end humidor. I don't have nearly the discerning palate and knowledge that many here do, but I gave a general identification a shot.

I'm pretty sure I know what it isn't based on it's dimensions. Construction was good with no soft spots. I chose a deep v-cut for it, which I quickly learned was a mistake. I should have just capped it with the Xikar. It wasn't plugged, but it didn't draw with great amounts of smoke unless I really worked at it -- which wasn't fun. Taste-wise, it started pretty nice, though lacked smoke, as stated. Quite peppery and cedary, if that makes sense. Even a bit of orange citrus. It burned relatively smooth and straight with little profile variation. I don't believe it was a CC, as the ash was not the dirty gray I've come to recognize with CC's, nor did it have a distinct CC taste. It was a very tight ash that held on well. It was not unpleasant until about halfway through, then it just started tasting like a cheap rocket. I've sadly smoked enough of those to recognize that characteristic. The pepper picked back up in the final third, but it wasn't an outstanding smoke and I had things to do. Tossed it not too long after the second photo.

My thoughts on it are that it was just another CI'ish special. Maybe a 5 Vegas or possibly even a Gurkha. I'm embarrassed that I am able to single out such a crappy cigar, but I do believe it was an internet/catalog generic. If I knew what it was definitively, I'd go out of my way to avoid them in the future.

IMG_2899.jpg IMG_2900.jpg

A Por Larrañaga Picadores from box date October 2017. Young, and to me, that’s not a bad thing. No green or armonía. Simply younger Cuban tobacco flavor. Now, I could swear that the tobacco used in these is a cousin of the Aganorsa leaf. Just my opinion, but I could definitely taste the similarity. Maybe Aganorsa seeds are sourced from the same farm or producer. The bands say Vuelta Abajo.
According to a CA article in which Eduardo Fernandez, owner of AGANORSA was interviewed...later in it, it has Arsenio Ramos saying “See this soil?” says Ramos. “It’s the same as San Luís, in the Vuelta Abajo. This is just like the El Corojo farm.” He stoops down, grabbing a fistful of brown earth in his calloused hand.

Well. That explains it. The article also says, manufacturers like Illusione, and Padron use thier leaf.

Yeah you really wont smell hops until you crush the cones in your hands. I used to have two vines but one didn't survive the move. The survivor is cascade. I always throw a handful in something I brew, just to say I did.

Back