• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's Smoke 2016

A couple of back to back Neanderthal SGP's....it was very cool hanging out and chatting with Skip Martin and Mike Rosales from RoMa Craft. They assured me "You definitely come off like a garden variety cigar whore and not the creepy stalker your wife's emails warned us about".

I love these. I have a box for my wedding anniversary (6/08) that bill helped me find so I light one up every year.

Paul

Nice to hear Paul. I still have one box that I smoke out of occasionally, Love these...

To nice of a day to stop at just one. Having an incredible BBF now. It almost has a Padron like draw to it. Thanks Bill.

Brent, glad you liked it... These are in my regular rotation, love them as well...

After traveling around the world, I have landed in San Fransisco. This is the view from my hotel room:

view_zpsed0gufqm.png

And... this is the 1955 Montecristo Robusto that I enjoyed earlier today. By far the best cigar I have ever had...

55%20monty%20robusto_zpses6pqqt6.png

After traveling around the world, I have landed in San Fransisco. This is the view from my hotel room:

view_zpsed0gufqm.png

And... this is the 1955 Montecristo Robusto that I enjoyed earlier today. By far the best cigar I have ever had...

Damn they can age that long?? Must be an amazing treat.

Nice view...where did you go around the world??

A doctor gave me a pre-embargo Double Claro "something" once. It was one of the most amazing cigars I've ever smoked. I want to say he said it was aged 50 years, and it was a good 25 years ago.
I thought that if aged too long they end up just tasting like crap or drying out or etc etc. is this a normal thing for that much age to be amazing? Should I store some for 50 years?? Lol

I thought that if aged too long they end up just tasting like crap or drying out or etc etc. is this a normal thing for that much age to be amazing? Should I store some for 50 years?? Lol
It's a crapshoot, as far as I can tell. I've smoked a lot of flat oldies. If I recall correctly, this one was rare when it was new, as Candela wrapper was more of a byproduct at the time it was rolled. The oldest cigars that I've smoked a good number of were early 90s Cubans and they were great; all finger burners. Non cubans, I had some pre cigar boom Sandinista Joya de Nicaragua, LGC and ERdM that were pretty damned tasty, the Joya being epic. I have some various NCs aging at a higher than generally accepted humidity (70-72% humidity) with lots of air space that I hope do well. Right now they have about 8-9 years on them. I'm pretty convinced that the humidity has to be higher to preserve as much of the oils as possible. I can easily tell a difference in as little as 3-6 months, with the higher humidity examples being much more flavorful. More work and care, but I'm pretty convinced.

Last edited:
It's a crapshoot, as far as I can tell. I've smoked a lot of flat oldies. If I recall correctly, this one was rare when it was new, as Candela wrapper was more of a byproduct at the time it was rolled. The oldest cigars that I've smoked a good number of were early 90s Cubans and they were great; all finger burners. Non cubans, I had some pre cigar boom Sandinista Joya de Nicaragua, LGC and ELdM that were pretty damned tasty, the Joya being epic. I have some various NCs aging at a higher than generally accepted humidity (70-72% humidity) with lots of air space that I hope do well. Right now they have about 8-9 years on them. I'm pretty convinced that the humidity has to be higher to preserve as much of the oils as possible. I can easily tell a difference in as little as 3-6 months, with the higher humidity examples being much more flavorful. More work and care, but I'm pretty convinced.
I've been wondering a lot about this lately. Thanks for the explanation and your experience!

view_zpsed0gufqm.png

Oh, and did you get that Monte at Vendetta?

It's a crapshoot, as far as I can tell. I've smoked a lot of flat oldies. If I recall correctly, this one was rare when it was new, as Candela wrapper was more of a byproduct at the time it was rolled. The oldest cigars that I've smoked a good number of were early 90s Cubans and they were great; all finger burners. Non cubans, I had some pre cigar boom Sandinista Joya de Nicaragua, LGC and ELdM that were pretty damned tasty, the Joya being epic. I have some various NCs aging at a higher than generally accepted humidity (70-72% humidity) with lots of air space that I hope do well. Right now they have about 8-9 years on them. I'm pretty convinced that the humidity has to be higher to preserve as much of the oils as possible. I can easily tell a difference in as little as 3-6 months, with the higher humidity examples being much more flavorful. More work and care, but I'm pretty convinced.
Yea I assumed that aging them that long would both dry them out and cause their flavors to become very dull. Would be interesting to age some that long just to see. But don't think I have that kind of patience...

Yea I assumed that aging them that long would both dry them out and cause their flavors to become very dull. Would be interesting to age some that long just to see. But don't think I have that kind of patience...

I'm not ambitious enough to think I've got 50 years left to attempt that feat.

view_zpsed0gufqm.png

Great view and what I suspect an excellent cigar. Enjoy.

Damn they can age that long?? Must be an amazing treat.

Nice view...where did you go around the world??

Flew from LA to NY, then to London, then to Australia, then to Hong Kong, then to Hawaii, then to San Fransisco. Crazy trip...

Oh, and did you get that Monte at Vendetta?

Yes, absolutely correct... They have some amazing stock, and in incredible condition... definitely blew me away...