• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Training Wheels Pass - FNG pt deux

....A tie? Dang .. you trying to pay me back for calling you an old codger?
Why, Cory, I'd have never even thought of such a thing.

But, actually, now that you mention it...... :laugh:

Offer stands, Cory - if you want some help with the prize bombs, shoot me a PM.... :cool:

Congrats, guys - B.B.S.

Cory, I responded to your PM re: my P's and T's. LMK what you think.

Cory, I responded to your PM re: my P's and T's. LMK what you think.
Mike and I went over a couple things through PMs and I thought that it might be beneficial to include them here for people to learn from, or at least consider. I asked him if he would mind if I shared the PM exchange for the benefit of the newer passers, and he agreed. Personally, I think it is awesome! Sometimes people get really bent out of shape when challenged. I also went through many of these questions when I first started participating in passes, and I didn't agree with what some people said. And although Mike may not agree with everything I said, I applaud that he is willing to work within these rules. :thumbs:

Blue Dragon said:
Phlicker said:
Blue Dragon said:
Phlicker said:
Cory,
I have my proposed P's and T's posted in the FNG thread for your approval. Let me know.

-Mike
I just got a break at work and responded in the thread. Please LMK if you have any questions.

Thanks,
- C
Cory,

Just saw the post. I replaced the DC #3 with a WOAM because that's what it was put in the pass in exchange for initially, coupled with the fact that the DC Gift Set and the Hemingway Maduros were both Holiday releases.

As far as the Padilla Habano goes, I checked the websites in question and could only find the Habano listed at Holt's. $88.95 for 20 equals about $4.45 a piece, a $0.40 difference in the price of a 3000 ($4.05/each, or $105.30 for 26). I didn't think the difference was that severe, especially considering the fact that I replaced a $8 DCM #5 with a $9 LFD DL Lancero ($180/box of 20...plus, although availability is getting better for some, it's still not a regular production stick, so there's a rarity issue there) and threw in an Opus xXx.

I don't know that I have any other $4.50 sticks on hand that I could trade, so if it's a nay on the Habano, I'll just remove that one. LMK, and I'll get this out in the mail tomorrow. Thanks!

-Mike
Hey Mike,

There are several things in your PM that I would like to address. Please note that these issues tend to come up regularly, and with your permission would like to post this PM exchange in the thread. I would like to do that because I think it would be helpful for other newer members, not that I am trying to call you out or anything.

Concerning the DC#3, you never said where the WOAM came from, just that it is a WOAM. Being from a holiday sampler from (?) might make it a more rare cigar, I'm not sure. Please state where it came from if you want that taken into consideration, else how am I to know?

Concerning "that is what was in the pass initially", this question or statement has been brought up before. I tried to find the reference but had difficulty and ran out of time. Basically it boils down to: a person, we'll call Bob, in the pass decided to put in X cigar that may have been more valuable than Y. That was Bob's choice to increase the value of the pass. Bob may have done it for whatever reason (it was his only cigar in that value range or that he wanted to leave the pass better than he found it), it really doesn't matter. What does matter is that it was Bob's choice to make that play. Now the value of the cigar is X and not Y, so if you want to trade for X cigar, the trade must be of equal value to X and not Y. LMK if that is not clear.

Personally, I don't like to go from just one source. I did see it at Holt's, and it came up a little short int that exchange comparison. A rule of thumb I try to stick by is, for sticks of roughly $3-$7, $.25 difference seems pretty reasonable; for sticks $8 -$14, $.50 difference seems reasonable; for sticks more than $15 it really becomes a judgment call but should still be close. So, I did a search for Padilla Habanos and found them also at 2GuysSmokeShop.com and MrBundles.com. The differences there are $.83 and $.76 respectively. So, it doesn't fall w/in my $.25 guidelines.

Concerning "especially since I replaced an [$8 stick] for a [$9 stick]", each trade must be evaluated on it's own merit. The reasoning for this is that it falls around the many for one category. If more than the one cigar is taken into consideration someone could try to replace 4 $2 sticks for one $8 stick and call it good. In this pass I stated that P's and T's would be one for one, equal value for equal value. Your consideration was not as sever as the example I made, but it starts down a slippery slope that causes lots of problems. So, we just won't even start to go there.

Concerning "and I threw in an Opus xXx", while the power ranger is a great stick, this falls into the category of many for one and I cannot take that into consideration for the trade. Hitchhikers, host bag, etc. while appreciated, are not a requirement of this pass and solely up to the discretion of each individual. What is a requirement is like for like in trade. So don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the gesture.

Concerning "I don't know that I have any other $4.50 sticks", the reason I ask you to list what you are trading for what is because I do not want to presume to know what you have for cigars, nor do I want to try to influence some trade in my favor. I would rather that you do this and we work it out from there. However, I do want to point out that you have an Opus xXx that is worth around $8 or $9. You could move things around and trade the Opus for the Padilla and throw the Padron as a hitchhiker, effectively accomplishing the same thing. Just an idea, but please modify your trade as you see fit.

Whew .. my co-worker just asked me if I was writing a book. Sorry for the length, but these are important issues and have had a lot of thought and previous experience (more than mine) behind them. I hope it helps. LMK how you would like to proceed.

Thanks for being in my pass!!
- C

I guess the other thing I would like to note is that passes are much different than regular trades. P's and T's in passes are under much greater scrutiny than any trade I have ever done; we have the whole CP board watching. Once I was in a pass and really really wanted the Taboada, but didn't have anything remotely close to trade for it. So I bought some crazy expensive cigar thinking it would trade, and it still didn't measure up. However, the pass host worked with me after the pass to trade for it. Anyway ...

Hope someone found that helpful. :blush:

Thanks for sharing the PM's. This is good information for all of to know. :thumbs:

X2.....Especially since this is all our first pass. The more info we can soak up the better off we are down the road. :thumbs:

OK, here we go:

T: #34 Don Carlos #3 (30th anniversary sampler pack); P: #48 FFOX xXx
T: #42 Padilla Habano Robusto; P: #49 Nat Sherman Omerta 2006 Torpedo
T: #44 DCM #5; P: #50 LFD DL Lancero

...and
P: #51 V Centennial 500 Robusto
P: #52 Peterson Gran Reserva Robusto
P: #53 Peterson Gran Reserva Churchill

I really wish I had been able to compete with the pics that were submitted for this little "contest". I never really thought I stood a chance against the winners (or Jay's pics, for that matter), but I wanted to show a picture of my father enjoying a cigar in Sicily a few months before he passed away. It was he who got me into the hobby to begin with. I've got a few more generic pics (me and the wife - no cigars; me and the best friend smoking in various locations). I'll try to dig them up along w/ the picture of Dad and post them as the pass goes on regardless. This will be on its way tomorrow, DC# to follow. Thanks for letting me play!

Boogs, you ready? This baby's ready to roll tomorrow: DC# 0103 8555 7491 2549 3777

Give me the word and she's on her way south on I-95!

Well said, Cory. Some very good points there and thanks for clearing it up.

It's not at all a given that P/T's will be easy to make. Sticking to the value for value philosophy is worthy and worth the time to get right.

Thanks to Phlicker for his standup part in all this. Well done.

Wilkey

Let me echo the great comments that Blue Dragon and Ginseng have made..... :thumbs:

The art of a good put and take is an acquired skill. Different pass hosts will have different criteria so it's always good form to check with the pass host and the membership in general for feedback. I've done a couple of passes, and always try to price my smokes from various sources and take rarity into account. When in doubt, ask. No offense should be taken when suggestions are made. No one starts a pass to profit; rather, it's to share some smokes and end up with some new things you haven't tried before. And, to make some new friends and share the goodness that we all enjoy in this hobby or ours.

This is a great way for all you guys to get into the swing of things and Cory is handing out solid advice. Kudos to everyone for their participation and interest....well done by all.... :cool:

Best regards, gents - B.B.S.

OK, Boogs has confirmed that he's ready to receive, so this will go out today. DC# is as posted earlier. Cory, please update the original post accordingly.

Let me start off by saying this is a great idea for a pass.

After reading through this last play, I think it was handled great by both parties. I know alot of people think that .10, .25, even a .50 difference is kinda ticky tack to dicuss. But it's plain and simple. The line has to be drawn so that everyone planning to play in passes understands. Once you allow small discrepancies to fly then slowly but surely, it gets taken to the next level. The easiest way to keep this from happening is to not allow any IMO.

The most important part of listing puts and takes come down to them being listed what put, was for what take, exactly. I think it's rude and insulting when players list takes and puts in a group for everyone else to figure out what was for what. When you are making selections, you know what cigar your putting to replace what you took, so you should list it that way. Again... when your in a pass... it's going to cost you. Plain and simple.

Mistakes will happen. When they do, just handle it like adults. Leave your ego at the door. This was a perfect example of how to communicate. Knowlege was passed on to many, not just the two involved.

Nice job! :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing those PM's it really clears up some things that I was wondering about. :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing the PM's. This is good information for all of to know. :thumbs:

X2.....Especially since this is all our first pass. The more info we can soak up the better off we are down the road. :thumbs:

Thanks Cory, Ginseng, B.B.S., and Cohibasurfer for the education. It's good to know, that if I don't I can just ask.

Thanks to Mike as well. :thumbs:

Well I'm up next in the pass...I have no photos of me smoking a cigar because I RARELY take any pictures...

But here are pictures of me that I think are amusing:

n413099_30632832_6322.jpg

This is me wearing a one piece pajama.

n413099_30632833_6752.jpg

This me pretending to be Arnold. Note the shirt and my avatar.

n413099_32940724_6003.jpg

New Years 2006

n413099_32940601_4489.jpg

A picture of me in and some Argentinian friends from Buenos Aires from a 10 days ago.

n413099_32940514_8898.jpg

La Pacca in BA. Note my buddy harassing a co-worker.

So I think you all have now gotten to know something about me: I'm a sinner.

Hope you're ready, Boogs...this baby's due to touch down today, from what I can gather.

Boogs, I to am a sinner. And I only wish we could still harrass co-workers in the U.S. like your friend was in the photo.

Thanks for the pics man.

ts

Alright alright wait. Two things. First, thanks for that info Dragon, I was going to click and ship. Now I won't.

Numero dos, and far more importantly. Jay, wtf is up with that photo?! Mark my words, I am going to bomb your ass for showing us that photo.

That is what you come home to?!? Get the f... outta here. Not that your a bad lookin' guy, and not that my wife is anything bad (my neighbor calls her 'Hollywood'), but that woman is so fine there's not even an avator on here that can touch that.

ts

A brother who is true to his word, I thank you and the little lady does as well, However she said some thing like watch your back :whistling:

MICK. you might want to keep a first aid kit around the house. :rolleyes:

0307 0020 0003 1629 6993

Well, I do still have my storm windows up.

All I can say is, brother, you had that bomb coming. I thank you again.

ts