• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Unhappy Thread

Work's work. No shame in any of it. I remember reading an article a while back about seniors who work as greeters at Walmart. It helped their overall cognitive abilities improve along with a lot of other health benefits. Lower BP, increased mobility, reduced joint inflammation, better stamina, etc.

Sounds like you have everything to gain from your new position. Congrats on it! 👍
I agree.. This is why I am debasing myself in a humiliating job...I need the activity. Unfortunately, there is real ageist prejudice in the work place.
A friend, who retired, was the HR head of a large corporation. He told me that it is rare that anyone hires someone even in their 50's.
If you are in your 60's? Fuggeddaboudit. 70's? Unless you have some special talent that no one else has, you are toast.
I'm healthy. Just had my annual physical and not one thing is off kilter.
But life teaches you that you gotta do what you gotta do. Living a long life also teaches you that control is a myth over the long run...make lemonade.
I think I shall smoke a cigar. This always makes me happy.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 4
I agree.. This is why I am debasing myself in a humiliating job...I need the activity. Unfortunately, there is real ageist prejudice in the work place.
A friend, who retired, was the HR head of a large corporation. He told me that it is rare that anyone hires someone even in their 50's.
If you are in your 60's? Fuggeddaboudit. 70's? Unless you have some special talent that no one else has, you are toast.
But life teaches you that you gotta do what you gotta do. Living a long life also teaches you that control is a myth over the long run...make lemonade.
My parents live in AZ and they work at the local stadiums. There is a management company that manages the employees for TONS of stadiums. They get text messages offering them shifts and they accept/decline. They do it more to keep busy and have some extra vacation money, but they make good money at it... I would be amazed if Chicago didn't have the same thing.

Last edited:
You could do a little home-based side hustle doing guitar and bass setups. You'd be surprised how many people would pay someone else to change their strings, never mind actually know how to set action and intonation.

My parents live in AZ and they work at the local stadiums. There is a management company that manages the employees for TONS of stadiums. They get text messages offering them shifts and they accept/decline. They do it more to keep busy and have some extra vacation money, but they make good money at it... I would be amazed in Chicago didn't have the same thing.
I live in Milwaukee. I have submitted resumes to both Fiserv Bucks Arena and American Family Field (Brewers) and nada. The Packers are 130 miles away in Green Bay. I've submitted a hundred resumes and my age scuttles most opportunities.
I'm OK with being a greeter. I can almost walk to the store. And the money is surprisingly good because no one wants to do this.
I guess I just needed to vent. My wife was diagnosed with dementia in April. So things are a real cluster f**k.
But the lesson is we just keep going. Life can be hard. Thankfully, I'm healthy.

I've gone over to the dark side.
No one will hire a 72 year old structural engineer.
I've been to interviews and smoked them.
Unfortunately, I knew more than the people interviewing me.
No one wants to take a chance on a dead man walking.
Cigar lounges are not hiring unless you do double duty as a bartender.
I don't drink. Never have.
So here it is...I applied to a Midwest food store chain...for a greeter position. (Hanging head in shame).
I will kill myself if they hire me.
But on the upside, I can finally identify myself as the woman I've always wanted to be.
View attachment 60350
Hey, I worked in a meat processing plant scrubbing gut barrels, when I was in high school. As mentioned, work is work. Try and find something about the job that you can take pride in and enjoy. That helps to find the meaning in any job.

I could go around to retirement homes and sell Chinese erectile dysfunction pills to the old guys.

You should sell them to the old ladies so they can do the funky cold medina on the old timers. The old guys forget to take their pills or forget what to do with their rockets when they are lucky enough to launch. Just ask @Pugman1943…

Last edited:
You should sell them to the old ladies so they can do the funky cold medina on the old timers. The old guys forget to take their pills or forget what to do with their rockets when they are lucky enough to launch. Just ask @Pugman1943…
So I gave some to my dog when he began to beg
Then he licked his bowl and he looked at me
And did the wild thing on my leg
He used to scratch and bite me, before he was much, much meaner
But now all the poodles run to my house for the Funky Cold Medina

Well I have been stuck in my work parking lot for 3 hours in 90 degree heat at night waiting for a tow truck to tow me 37 miles which is going to cost me $300 because I’m an idiot and never upgraded my AAA. Friends tried to jump me and nothin. I’m pretty sure it’s my starter button which I already have and I’m an I didn’t and didn’t replace it yet because it’s been hot. Replaced the battery and starter a few months ago so I just don’t know what it could be. It clicks but nothing. Brand new starter

Well I have been stuck in my work parking lot for 3 hours in 90 degree heat at night waiting for a tow truck to tow me 37 miles which is going to cost me $300 because I’m an idiot and never upgraded my AAA. Friends tried to jump me and nothin. I’m pretty sure it’s my starter button which I already have and I’m an I didn’t and didn’t replace it yet because it’s been hot. Replaced the battery and starter a few months ago so I just don’t know what it could be. It clicks but nothing. Brand new starter

That's the one option I always check if I switch auto insurance.. roadside assistance. I think I pay $6 for it on each 6mo renewal and it covers 3 instances each term. You may want to double check your policy and see if you have it. They'll probably reimburse you.

Might be the starter solenoid (been long time since I worked on cars - no idea if the solenoid is integrated with the starter motor these days).

(Not my guitar)

My wife is expecting a package delivered yesterday. DHL has it marked as "delivered". The doorbell cam shows differently. Called DHL to inquire about this, and they said to contact the sender. My wife told them that it seems like a DHL issue if they are saying they delivered it, but it is not here, and we have video evidence that they never stepped foot in our driveway. They said, "contact the seller". :mad:

I'm thinking of calling them back and telling them I am going to file a police report for stolen mail, pointing the finger at the DHL driver. They need to prove when and where it was delivered, because I have timestamped video that says otherwise.

(Not my guitar)

My wife is expecting a package delivered yesterday. DHL has it marked as "delivered". The doorbell cam shows differently. Called DHL to inquire about this, and they said to contact the sender. My wife told them that it seems like a DHL issue if they are saying they delivered it, but it is not here, and we have video evidence that they never stepped foot in our driveway. They said, "contact the seller". :mad:

I'm thinking of calling them back and telling them I am going to file a police report for stolen mail, pointing the finger at the DHL driver. They need to prove when and where it was delivered, because I have timestamped video that says otherwise.
maybe it was returned to sender?