• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What’s on the grill/smoker today? 2020

Love the Mac and cheese! Beans do really well on a smoker too!

Tossed on a couple racks of St Louis ribs. Low and slow with Cherry.

Tried to square them up best I could
28E70419-7892-430B-83CD-159697262739.jpeg

Just over an hour in, touches up the water pan so I figured I might as well snap a pic.

0034208B-ECF3-4053-AE65-22A4A48D1F28.jpeg

Pulled after 3 hours and wrapped.

6FEA3CEA-B6A1-4BC7-8E36-BC8AAC7BF8E5.jpeg1A68B646-197B-48B2-BCF8-A24F47D41338.jpeg

Cooked for two hours in the foil. After that I glazed them with sauce and a tiny bit of honey and put them back in for another hour. 5.75 hours total. Passed the bend test with flying colors.

5ACB7CB2-AB7B-4153-8F5C-CDEB03119445.jpeg

Last edited:
Very jealous of you guys smoking meat for Easter! And I looove me some pecan wood. :)

I have yet to master the brisket, but I might need to try and find some next week to give it a go. The last one I did was very small and I blamed the outcome on that, but maybe it’s my own ineptitude.

I would so love to do some salmon right now, but with it being just me and the mrs...she won’t touch the stuff. So I only do it for get togethers and that may not be for awhile.

What kind of smoker are you using, TB?

This just went on the smoker with some pecan.

View attachment 30632

I have a Masterbuilt propane smoker. Nice looking prime rib!

I smoked a brisket, 3 bone in split chicken breasts (since my 12 year old is a chicketerian, LOL), Jalapeno poppers and some jalapeno sausages. All turned out great.

20200412_180415.jpg

20200412_145352.jpg

20200412_180455.jpg

This was also the first time I've wrapped the brisket in pink butcher paper, both once it hit 165 to finish in the smoker and also when it was done, to stay warm in a cooler. I liked the results of the butcher paper.

So I asked my wife to grab a prime rib roast but the store didn’t have any so she grabbed a 2lb top round roast and a 2lb bottom round roast. Not sure if these are common cuts on a smoker or not but I’m gonna try it.

Just curious, I know with pork shoulder you want to hit the 190-203 to break down the fat and make it super tender. Do you take this same approach with beef or should I pull it off at 135-140 so it’s medium rare. Thanks in advance!

So I asked my wife to grab a prime rib roast but the store didn’t have any so she grabbed a 2lb top round roast and a 2lb bottom round roast. Not sure if these are common cuts on a smoker or not but I’m gonna try it.

Just curious, I know with pork shoulder you want to hit the 190-203 to break down the fat and make it super tender. Do you take this same approach with beef or should I pull it off at 135-140 so it’s medium rare. Thanks in advance!
I'd personally take it to the 135-140 range. If you bring it to the 200 range I think you'll be disappointed. I could be wrong

I'd personally take it to the 135-140 range. If you bring it to the 200 range I think you'll be disappointed. I could be wrong
That kind of what I was thinking. Top/bottom round are pretty lean so I don’t think there’s much fat to break down like there is in a brisket. Thanks!

That kind of what I was thinking. Top/bottom round are pretty lean so I don’t think there’s much fat to break down like there is in a brisket. Thanks!

Gonna be tough and dry would be my guess. Slice it thin and make Carne asada.

Gonna be tough and dry would be my guess. Slice it thin and make Carne asada.
I’m gonna marinade them and see if it helps. One is for dinner, one is for lunches during the week. So I guess I’ll make a test cut in one and decide the best way to serve it based on how it turns out. Was hoping to go really thin with one of them for sandwiches

I would go thin and rare (like medium rare). Marinade should help, make sure to keep some water in the water pan, should help with the moisture.

Did the smoker come with a booklet and sample recipes? I know that I usually just skip that stuff myself, but its at the very least a jumping off point. Sometimes the recipes are spot on too.

I would go thin and rare (like medium rare). Marinade should help, make sure to keep some water in the water pan, should help with the moisture.

Did the smoker come with a booklet and sample recipes? I know that I usually just skip that stuff myself, but its at the very least a jumping off point. Sometimes the recipes are spot on too.
Sadly it didn’t, but I have a copy of ‘Project Smoke’ coming Saturday. It’ll be too late for this round because I already put them in marinade this morn before work so they get about 24-26 hours to soak. I used my bourbon marinade that I usually do on the grill so we’ll see if it turns out.

Here’s my recipe if anyone happens to be interested

This makes enough for a 5 lb roast
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/8 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 + 1/8 cup Soy sauce (these two sauces should equal 1/2 cup total.)
1 3/4 cup water
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup of your favorite bourbon

It’s done well for me. My friends and family really like it

Sadly it didn’t, but I have a copy of ‘Project Smoke’ coming Saturday. It’ll be too late for this round because I already put them in marinade this morn before work so they get about 24-26 hours to soak. I used my bourbon marinade that I usually do on the grill so we’ll see if it turns out.

Here’s my recipe if anyone happens to be interested

This makes enough for a 5 lb roast
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/8 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 + 1/8 cup Soy sauce (these two sauces should equal 1/2 cup total.)
1 3/4 cup water
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup of your favorite bourbon

It’s done well for me. My friends and family really like it

I like it! I may have to give it a try soon. :)

So I smoked the two round roasts today. Marinaded then for about 28 hours. Also injected them knowing the lack of fat was working against me. Smoked them with pecan at 215 for 4 hours. Pulled them at 130 degrees.
3D45875B-133D-4926-8038-4B72F990A0B4.jpeg

The bigger roast was wrapped in foil to rest for an hour and a half. Then I sliced 3/4 of it up for steak tacos and the other 1/4 was sliced as thin as I could get it for sandwiches later in the week. I was pleasantly surprised at How tender and juicy it came out.
3384533A-DC35-43CA-8491-766285355B35.jpeg69A4F618-73BB-4450-B793-C25BC5D4634A.jpeg3968FB40-7A8F-493A-9754-B63FEDC16BC4.jpeg30EC5BC6-44CD-4D5F-A445-5DF44D5647C7.jpeg

The smaller one went into the slow cooker for an additional 5 hours to pull. Certainly not pulled pork but we’ll use it in random recipes through the week.
DB0B0EB3-C977-4D57-A568-9B990F83392E.jpeg

Definitely not my idle cuts to smoke, but I learned some stuff today, so I regret nothing lol.

Hey it looks like it turned out great to me! I think you did well by pulling it out at 130..

So I smoked the two round roasts today. Marinaded then for about 28 hours. Also injected them knowing the lack of fat was working against me. Smoked them with pecan at 215 for 4 hours. Pulled them at 130 degrees.
View attachment 30715

The bigger roast was wrapped in foil to rest for an hour and a half. Then I sliced 3/4 of it up for steak tacos and the other 1/4 was sliced as thin as I could get it for sandwiches later in the week. I was pleasantly surprised at How tender and juicy it came out.
View attachment 30710View attachment 30711View attachment 30712View attachment 30714

The smaller one went into the slow cooker for an additional 5 hours to pull. Certainly not pulled pork but we’ll use it in random recipes through the week.
View attachment 30713

Definitely not my idle cuts to smoke, but I learned some stuff today, so I regret nothing lol.
Looks like great nacho meat to me!