• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What’s on the grill/smoker today? 2020

Beef Stroganoff (My Grandmother's recipe) in the Dutch Oven. Delicious!
View attachment 30871
I'd love to see the recipe. We do a camping trip over Memorial Day weekend with a bunch of buddies and their families, and cook the majority of the meals in Dutch ovens with charcoal.

For me tonight, wife wants shish kabobs. I'd rather just cook a steak and some sides, but such is life.

IMG_20200426_182200.jpg

IMG_20200426_183133.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200426_181641.jpg
    IMG_20200426_181641.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200426_182730.jpg
    IMG_20200426_182730.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 0
Is this a big green egg thing? How do you like it? I've often considered one but it is cost prohibitive (especially right now! lol)

It is! They are expensive and I would not have spent that kind of money on myself. Wife knew that and bought it for me as a Father’s Day gift back in 2015.
I love it and how versatile it is. Make everything on it from steaks, pizza, soups, stews, naan bread, you name it!
The warranty is bar none. My lower case and the inner ceramic ring both developed cracks and they replaced them a few weeks ago, no questions asked, no hassles. They even sent me an apology letter because it took a little over a week to get me the lower case due to the pandemic.

It was so nice this weekend that we did burgers and dogs on the grill two nights in a row. Can't beat it!

Did some brats on the grill but I forgot to take pictures because I was simultaneously kicking the wife’s ass at corn hole (it was actually closer than I’d care to admit 💀)

All the neighbors were grilling and having bonfires. It’s starting to feel like summer

Mother's day is coming up and typically we'd all get together for brunch, but with how things are these days I'm thinking I might smoke some beef shortribs on Saturday for her. They are my mom's favorite.

Mother's day is coming up and typically we'd all get together for brunch, but with how things are these days I'm thinking I might smoke some beef shortribs on Saturday for her. They are my mom's favorite.
Never smoked short ribs, do you cook them similar to pork ribs?

Yeah, pretty much identical for me. I mean, some BBQ expert might have a different process but for me I smoke them same as I would baby backs or other ribs.

My mom loves when I BBQ, so I smoked some beef short ribs, which are her preference, yesterday. I got them from a different market and as opposed to a rack of 4 dinosaur bones, they were the thick, boneless hunks below.

Threw them on the Smokey Mountain after rubbing some Maggi sauce and Weber dry rub on them.

They hit the stall from 140-149. I swear they were stuck in that range for 2 hours. Altogether they were in the smoker for about 9 hours and came out pitch black. The bark is about the most impressive I've ever gotten. Unfortunately some portions came out dry while others were far more tender. I think I should have wrapped them in foil during the cook to help retain moisture.

Here's a pic of the interior. They spent the first hour or so in the smoker under 200 degrees, so I was expecting a far more pronounced smoke ring. Oh well. They still taste great.

My mom loves when I BBQ, so I smoked some beef short ribs, which are her preference, yesterday. I got them from a different market and as opposed to a rack of 4 dinosaur bones, they were the thick, boneless hunks below.

Threw them on the Smokey Mountain after rubbing some Maggi sauce and Weber dry rub on them.

They hit the stall from 140-149. I swear they were stuck in that range for 2 hours. Altogether they were in the smoker for about 9 hours and came out pitch black. The bark is about the most impressive I've ever gotten. Unfortunately some portions came out dry while others were far more tender. I think I should have wrapped them in foil during the cook to help retain moisture.

Here's a pic of the interior. They spent the first hour or so in the smoker under 200 degrees, so I was expecting a far more pronounced smoke ring. Oh well. They still taste great.
Look good to me!

What kind of wood did you use? I've found that has a huge impact on what kind of smoke ring I get.

I've used the maple a couple times, most recently on some pork butt which had a nice pronounced smoke ring. I know it has to do with a magical temp/moisture level of the meat, but I don't know what that ratio is. Thus far I think I've used apple, maple, and pecan and I think of the 3 I would prefer maple. I haven't used oak, hickory, or mesquite yet, although I don't really have any plans on trying mesquite.