• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What beer did you drink today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dogfish Head World Wide Stout

I'm off this week, so why not. :)

Poured this into an oversized wine goblet. It smells of figs or raisins and caramelized sugar. By the latter, I mean a sweet note, but with a rough, slightly burnt edge. This is definitely a sipping beer. It's too thick to move through it too fast. To my taste, this beer isn't as hot as the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout I had last night, but the high alcohol level is noticeable.

NOTE: I just looked up the ABV's. It's interesting to me that the Brooklyn BCS is only 10% and this beer is 18% ABV. While there is a warming element to the WWS, I would not have guessed it's ABV is 80% higher. It doesn't indicate as much on the bottle itself. As we quite often do with cigars, I continue to wonder about how this beer will drink in 1-2 years.

My basement is currently at 59% degrees in the area where I store cigars and now beer....now more of a molasses scent is apparent as the beer warms. Now some traditional coffee notes and dark chocolate are discernible.

I hope you don't mind my stream of consciousness style in reviewing these beers. Unlike cigars, which I don't smoke in the house, I can type beer notes as I sip.

Currently sipping a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

Very sessionable brew that can be found anywhere.

Poured this into an oversized wine goblet. It smells of figs or raisins and caramelized sugar. By the latter, I mean a sweet note, but with a rough, slightly burnt edge. This is definitely a sipping beer. It's too thick to move through it too fast. To my taste, this beer isn't as hot as the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout I had last night, but the high alcohol level is noticeable.

NOTE: I just looked up the ABV's. It's interesting to me that the Brooklyn BCS is only 10% and this beer is 18% ABV. While there is a warming element to the WWS, I would not have guessed it's ABV is 80% higher. It doesn't indicate as much on the bottle itself. As we quite often do with cigars, I continue to wonder about how this beer will drink in 1-2 years.

My basement is currently at 59% degrees in the area where I store cigars and now beer....now more of a molasses scent is apparent as the beer warms. Now some traditional coffee notes and dark chocolate are discernible.

I hope you don't mind my stream of consciousness style in reviewing these beers. Unlike cigars, which I don't smoke in the house, I can type beer notes as I sip.

Not at all, I really enjoy hearing about other beers. Thanks for doing this and I hope you continue to do so.

Really enjoying the Maui Brewing Coconut Porter. Not as thick and filling as some other Porters I've had but just as flavorful. Their Big Swell IPA is really good as well. Quite a bit of hoppy bite without being bitter. Great finish to it as well.

Had a Brenkenridge Vanilla Porter, a New Glarus Stone Soup and an Avery The Czar RIS!! I'm gettin' sleepy....

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

A really good wheat beer. It has sweet note to it that I can't place my finger on. It is very aromatic. Hints of nutmeg, clove and other spices. The best of the genre I have had to date!

Of the German breweries distributed here, Weihenstephaner is my favorite, and it's not even really close. I don't care for hefeweizens in general, but I'll drink the bejesus out of that one. Sweet note banana maybe?

Berkshire Gude Greg's Wee Heavy Private Reserve - aged in Woodford Reserve barrels...lots and lots of caramel and toffee flavors

Lots of great beers flowing through the board with the holidays folks, nice job! My wife and I are in Duluth for an extended second Christmas with my parents so on the way in we made our usual stop to pick up a few growlers from Fitgers Brewhouse. Now have the following:

Humperdink Hefeweisen
El Nino Double IPA
Big Boat Oatmeal Stout

The first two are staples in our purchases and I have had the Stout, which is also vey good but was really looking foward to the Bourban Barrel Aged Imperial Stout that they ran out of about a week ago. I have yet to try it and it is apparently one of their top ranked beers. We also got a little adventerous and tried out the WildFire Lager that they have and wow it packs a punch. Basically it tastes more like a jalapeno infused vodka than beer. The only difference is where Vodka would have a liquor bite at the end on top of the burining, this beer had a slightly cleaner taste. Either way, the single sip I had was more than enough to say no thanks to that. It would be great in cooking or potentially cut heavily with another beer but is not at all appealing on its own.

On top of all of this my SS sent me some bombers from Alaskan Brewing CO. I tried out the Smoked Porter, which was fantastic and have yet to try the Double Black IPA but am very excited. Keep drinking the good ones folks and have a happy New Year.

Make sure your lids are on tight. The two growlers I got for Christmas Eve were flat as can be. I think the seals were bad, but the lids weren't nearly as hard to get off as they usually are. :(

That WildFire Lager is awful. It's the only thing I've had at Fitgers that I would pass on every time. Love the Big Boat and the Humperdink.

Next time you're up let me know a little bit ahead of time and we'll grab a bite to eat or something. I don't get the chance to meet too many people on my home turf.

I enjoy reading your progressive thoughts as well...DFH makes some of my favorite beers. The WWS is a very good stout IMHO, and one that should age quite nicely. As for as the BBCS goes, that is a fantastic beer as well. You should also try the ?Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, it is really exceptional.

Make sure your lids are on tight. The two growlers I got for Christmas Eve were flat as can be. I think the seals were bad, but the lids weren't nearly as hard to get off as they usually are. :(

That WildFire Lager is awful. It's the only thing I've had at Fitgers that I would pass on every time. Love the Big Boat and the Humperdink.

Next time you're up let me know a little bit ahead of time and we'll grab a bite to eat or something. I don't get the chance to meet too many people on my home turf.

Didn't realize you were near Fitgers Alan. Weird question, but do they sell any stickers in their tap room? I'm trying to cover the front of the kegerator and have run out of options around here.

Didn't realize you were near Fitgers Alan. Weird question, but do they sell any stickers in their tap room? I'm trying to cover the front of the kegerator and have run out of options around here.
I'm pretty sure they do. I'll check next time I go down there.

I get down there at least twice a month as we love their root beer. I go down to get a growler of root beer and somehow end up with 2 growlers of something else, too. :whistling: I can send you one of their growlers too if you want one, Justin. I have a couple of extras. :laugh:

Good call. I thought they shrink wrapped the tops but I was wrong. All of them were on tight but it is easy to see how they might come loose.

I get up to Duluth about once a month so I will be sure to give you a buzz before next time and we can for sure meet up.

Samuel Smith Imperial Stout

My wife, son and I are staying at the house for a low key evening. Maybe my wife and I will see the ball drop...maybe not.

I grabbed this imperial stout to compare it with some of the stouts I've had over the last few days. The nose isn't a "busy" as the last few stouts, with only a subtle bitter chocolate note making itself available. Taste is more straightforward, not as complex as the DFH World Wide Stout or the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout I've recently had.

It's not as warm as the DFH WWS (what is? :D), the lower ABV compared to the WWS and BCS is apparent. Some carbonation is there. More than I have tasted with this genre. Seems a little thin to me.

Nothing else came to mind. It's an easy drinking imperial stout which lacks depth and complexity. It's the cigar you hand to your friend who doesn't smoke cigars...but wants to try one.

IMG_0185.jpg

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

A really good wheat beer. It has sweet note to it that I can't place my finger on. It is very aromatic. Hints of nutmeg, clove and other spices. The best of the genre I have had to date!

Of the German breweries distributed here, Weihenstephaner is my favorite, and it's not even really close. I don't care for hefeweizens in general, but I'll drink the bejesus out of that one. Sweet note banana maybe?

Yes, I think you are right. That's actually pretty funny as my 4 year old son loves bananas and eats them all the time. To smell them as frequently as I do; you'd think I would be able to pick it up in a beer. :D

I enjoy reading your progressive thoughts as well...DFH makes some of my favorite beers. The WWS is a very good stout IMHO, and one that should age quite nicely. As for as the BBCS goes, that is a fantastic beer as well. You should also try the ?Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, it is really exceptional.

Will do. Thanks for the recommendation.

Chimay Blue

Feeling a bit unsatisfied with the last beer. I pour this beer into another goblet. Very murky, tawny color to this Trappist. Like a nice iced tea. Brown sugar on the nose. Something about this beer is appealing. It seems to have the perfect combination of carbonation, alcohol and texture. It reminds me of the Punch Serie D'Oro No. 1. When fresh, I could sense a lot going on within the cigar that didn't reveal itself because of its youth. Like that cigar, there is something more to this beer.

As it warms, it takes on a more earthy character. How would this beer pair with an old Bolivar? I'll have to try that. This was a very enjoyable beer. I might follow it with a Rochefort 10 to compare.

IMG_0186.jpg

Trappistes Rochefort 10

Nose of molasses. It is apparent in the first sips as well. More complex and less carbonation than the CB. I thought the CB had a great combination of alcohol, carbonation and texture. Bear with me, I'm new at this. The Rochefort 10 really is a great Trappist. A different league from the CB. Quite rich. Very chewy. I need to figure out what malt and barley taste like. Tim Koepp tried to explain this to me at a herf last year, but I can't quite recall the discussion. As it warms, the nose shows a nice stewed fruit base. It reminds me of the most recent release of the Ramon Allones Eminencia. Fresh, they smacked you with a wonderful stewed fruit underpinning that is reminiscent of this beer. I'll have to try another one soon.

This is by far the best Trappist I've tried. It's a little unfair to compare this quad to CB. I can't wait to try the Westvleteren offerings...just have locate them. I live in the People's Republic of Maryland.

IMG_0187.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.