• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What coffee did you drink today?

Can I play?

My regular coffee for several years has been Black Rifle AK, in an insulated French press. You can order it ground or as beans from them, I joined their "club" and get both shipped.

That said, lately I have been drinking Turkish coffee. I make it the old fashioned way in a cezve, served in the small cups that are traditional in Arab cultures. It's one of those things where the process is part of the enjoyment (like playing vinyl records on an actual turntable).

View attachment 39200
Damn you, last thing I need is another coffee gadget! 😂

I've had similar style coffee. High octane and there's lots of residual particulate as I think the grind is superfine.

Watched a couple YouTube videos. You drink the grounds?

No, not really. Turkish coffee is ground *very* fine, it's like powder, like flour almost. You spoon some into the cezve (pot) with cold water (supposedly distilled, but I use tap water). Then you stir it until it is basically dissolved (use only a wooden spoon, as the inside of the cezve is plated with tin, which can scrape off if not handled carefully). Takes a few minutes. Then you heat it very slowly. Never stir after you've started heating it. Eventually, a foam starts to rise on the top, turn down the heat carefully (or lift the cezve), don't let it actually boil, then spoon off foam into the cups. Then some people put it back on heat, do that again, sometimes a third time. Some people just once. (Some not at all.) Then carefully pour into the cups. You should see only clean liquid, the grounds should be on the bottom of the cezve, stop before you get there. Some grounds will nonetheless get into the cup. Let the cup sit for a minute, the grounds settle to the bottom, then sip slowly. You may get some grounds, again very fine powdery stuff. It's not bad. But you should stop drinking just shy of emptying the cup, leaving the grounds on the bottom.

It's powerful stuff. Alcohol was banned in many Arab/Muslim countries, long ago, and coffee evolved as their social drink of choice and mind altering beverage. It goes great with cigars!

More than you wanted to know? :D

I have a grinder that I use, but have wanted a manual one as well. It's pretty loud, so when the kids are home and I'm grinding coffee at 7am, I'd rather not wake them.

They’re kids. If a grinder wakes em up, they’ll go right back to sleep. If not, THEY’RE KIDS!!! They owe you their life!!! C’mon Brandon, grind on!!!

Floyd T

Brandon, next time I’m around a White Castle, I’ll buy ya a couple bags of their ground coffee. If I ain’t drinkin Killer Beans, I’m drinkin WC’s!!!

Floyd T

No, not really. Turkish coffee is ground *very* fine, it's like powder, like flour almost. You spoon some into the cezve (pot) with cold water (supposedly distilled, but I use tap water). Then you stir it until it is basically dissolved (use only a wooden spoon, as the inside of the cezve is plated with tin, which can scrape off if not handled carefully). Takes a few minutes. Then you heat it very slowly. Never stir after you've started heating it. Eventually, a foam starts to rise on the top, turn down the heat carefully (or lift the cezve), don't let it actually boil, then spoon off foam into the cups. Then some people put it back on heat, do that again, sometimes a third time. Some people just once. (Some not at all.) Then carefully pour into the cups. You should see only clean liquid, the grounds should be on the bottom of the cezve, stop before you get there. Some grounds will nonetheless get into the cup. Let the cup sit for a minute, the grounds settle to the bottom, then sip slowly. You may get some grounds, again very fine powdery stuff. It's not bad. But you should stop drinking just shy of emptying the cup, leaving the grounds on the bottom.

It's powerful stuff. Alcohol was banned in many Arab/Muslim countries, long ago, and coffee evolved as their social drink of choice and mind altering beverage. It goes great with cigars!

Yep, purchase upcoming...

I have a bunch of nice sezves. I just call it Turka Originally from Baku so all Turkish/Arabian peninsula cuisine brings back great memories. I remember the elders made this coffee by bringing sand to a very high temperature and then placing the Turka in the sand. It allowed for better heat distribution vs a direct flame just underneath the pot. Very close to Cuban coffee in texture and taste.

also for those who are into gadgets @CigSid check out this https://www.amazon.com/Arzum-Okka-O...+maker&qid=1614039876&sprefix=turkish+&sr=8-5

not 100% the same but also pretty close

We hosted a Bosnian family years ago that made us coffee similar to what you're describing. I was and am a 3-4 20oz cups of coffee per day addict and this little cup of Bosnian coffee made me perk right up. All my senses were immediately heightened and I was this close to communicating with the spirit realm. Only cup of that stuff I ever had, but it was memorable.

I decided to try something new from our very own coffee merchant Matty B and got some dry processed Caturra beans. I'm loving it so far, a unique flavor that I haven't had before.

We hosted a Bosnian family years ago that made us coffee similar to what you're describing. I was and am a 3-4 20oz cups of coffee per day addict and this little cup of Bosnian coffee made me perk right up. All my senses were immediately heightened and I was this close to communicating with the spirit realm. Only cup of that stuff I ever had, but it was memorable.

Did it make the hair on your head, stand up?

I have a bunch of nice sezves. I just call it Turka Originally from Baku so all Turkish/Arabian peninsula cuisine brings back great memories. I remember the elders made this coffee by bringing sand to a very high temperature and then placing the Turka in the sand. It allowed for better heat distribution vs a direct flame just underneath the pot. Very close to Cuban coffee in texture and taste.

also for those who are into gadgets @CigSid check out this https://www.amazon.com/Arzum-Okka-O...+maker&qid=1614039876&sprefix=turkish+&sr=8-5

not 100% the same but also pretty close

Very cool. I've seen "automatic" Turkish coffee makers, but had not seen that one. I enjoy the process, but those things may tempt me at some point.

The sand method is amazing, there's a Turkish restaurant near us that does that. It's truly an art.

jn

I'm similar - I drink 4-5 cups of Black Rifle AK every morning, it's billed as "Espresso", pretty strong stuff. But the Turkish coffee makes it look mild. My whole family has gotten into it, even my teenage daughter (who "hates" coffee), it's become a regular 5:00 p.m. family event.

I'm similar - I drink 4-5 cups of Black Rifle AK every morning, it's billed as "Espresso", pretty strong stuff. But the Turkish coffee makes it look mild. My whole family has gotten into it, even my teenage daughter (who "hates" coffee), it's become a regular 5:00 p.m. family event.

Damn son, if you drink that stuff at 5pm you must dream in color when you go to bed. IF you go to bed.