• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

We were really in the mood for chicken enchiladas, so I made these when I got home from work. The filling is boneless skinless chicken thighs, simmered in homemade enchilada sauce, then I add in rice, corn, jalapenos, red onions, scallions, garlic and cheese.
FB_IMG_1598564576767.jpg
Went apple picking last weekend, and was craving pie in the worst way....forgot I broke the pie pan last year, so had to make a free-form rustic apple galette.
FB_IMG_1598565061866.jpg

We were really in the mood for chicken enchiladas, so I made these when I got home from work. The filling is boneless skinless chicken thighs, simmered in homemade enchilada sauce, then I add in rice, corn, jalapenos, red onions, scallions, garlic and cheese.
View attachment 33201
Went apple picking last weekend, and was craving pie in the worst way....forgot I broke the pie pan last year, so had to make a free-form rustic apple galette.
View attachment 33202
Man! That all looks right up my alley!! Give me a big ol dollop of sour cream on my serving of enchilada...... 😍

Jim always did his with his home smoked salmon, that he caught.
This is wild caught smoked salmon I did myself using his smoking method, but still not as good!

a few years ago he offered fish/shrimp in trade on FB for a gun lube he couldn’t get delivered to Alaska. I had posted tracking within 10 minutes. 😎

Thank you Jeff! I credit you, Mike, and Justin for my beer style. 😎
What ever happened to Mike?

You could never make it look like much from a plating standpoint, but man is Chicken Marsala with mashed potatoes is delicious. The cooked carrots are from the garden. So are the chives, scallions,
and Italian Oregano used for seasoning. I know you normally don’t use the scallions and chives, but Donella requested it years ago and it just stuck since. We bought local organic chicken and what a difference. The breast are much smaller, though the texture and taste are way better than the mass produced chicken
E210F12C-A09E-4300-B132-F7B0695E464D.jpeg5B3518AE-0CDA-414C-8E44-01CA5D4A77A6.jpeg.

Thank you Jeff! I credit you, Mike, and Justin for my beer style. 😎
What ever happened to Mike?

You could never make it look like much from a plating standpoint, but man is Chicken Marsala with mashed potatoes is delicious. The cooked carrots are from the garden. So are the chives, scallions,
and Italian Oregano used for seasoning. I know you normally don’t use the scallions and chives, but Donella requested it years ago and it just stuck since. We bought local organic chicken and what a difference. The breast are much smaller, though the texture and taste are way better than the mass produced chicken
View attachment 33295View attachment 33296.

Mas_puros Mike? I'm friends with him on FB, seems like he's doing well.

Ok, this is half of our yearly supply concentrated tomato sauce. I use a submersible blender to smooth it out and then freeze it in ziplocks. We mix a bag with some San Marzano whole tomato’s and small can of tomato paste and it’s fabulous for anything needing tomato sauce. 69D1BD27-9CC3-4E9D-9887-3483F7D1B355.jpegAEFB6424-4BB5-40DC-9A4E-564F114E108F.jpegD5A833E9-E20F-4C35-B4AF-5C0EE56A9B62.jpeg88124E6F-EAEF-48BB-AC8D-2296AEA66882.jpeg

Growing up in Ohio, we had a very meat and potatoes style menu, and salt was almost considered an exotic spice. My Mom is a great cook, and always slaved away in the kitchen to cook for us with vegetables we grew in the garden, and locally sourced everything else. She was doing farm-to-table long before that was a thing. Honestly, I didn't really appreciate all the fresh food we had as kids until much later in life.

I've been cooking for my Mom for the past few weeks, just whipping up dishes based on what I found in her freezer or vegetables in season at the market. I've just been trying to keep her out of the kitchen so she can focus on other things. It's been fun to introduce her to some new things that she never had, or never thought to put together, such as the pork and peaches I posted earlier. I did tuna steaks on the grill this week and she raved about them.

2020-09-09 18.14.29.jpg

Today's picture is an Ohio Pho. I couldn't find fresh bean sprouts, so I used zucchini instead. Mrs Nihon wouldn't like that adaptation, but I figured that's really the spirit of dishes like this: you use what you have, and we had a couple of zucchinis in the fridge from my aunt's garden, so they went into the soup. Shrimp from the freezer, mint from Mom's flower garden, sweet peppers instead of hot (remember, salt is exotic!), Pho broth, noodles, green onions, cilantro, and Italian parsley from Giant Eagle. I thought it was pretty good, she loved it. Since it was her first pho, it was easy to get the "best I've ever had" award.