What's on your plate today?

Scottw

Just got some bone in split chicken breast onto the smoker. Using hickory today.

I’m in full blown “Cousin Eddie” mode from National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Standing by the smoker with a cigar in my mouth and wearing a bathrobe. When the neighbors come out, I’m just gonna hell “Shitter was full!”

Last edited:

thinde

Lobstah; the other white meat!
As I posted in the beer thread, Oktoberfest technically started yesterday. Grilled some bratwurst, kasekrainer, sauerkraut, and dumpling.
EDIT; I responded to the wrong post! Sorry Jeff this was meant in response to Justin's inquiry.

Its not real difficult but it does take some maintenance through out the year. It's also not real cheap so don't do it just for the honey, you can buy honey cheaper than raising bees. We keep doing for our gardens and knowing we're doing something thats good for the environment.

Here in Ct we're paying about $170 for a Nuc which is 5 frames full of bees and a queen. I started about ten years ago with some help from a guy at work. Its one of those things where someone can tell you everything there is to know but you really need to suit up and apply those thoughts on your own to have them sink in. I've lost at least 5 hives and its hard to say exactly why in three of the cases. I suspect they were weak hives due mite infestation, which I finally figured out how to treat for mites. The other two are easily identified as bad luck and stupidity. I had a large branch knock a hive over and they never recovered and I mistakenly let a hive lean backwards one winter and between snow melt and spring rain the bees couldn't leave the hive so I either starved them or I drowned them.

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
EDIT; I responded to the wrong post! Sorry Jeff this was meant in response to Justin's inquiry.

Its not real difficult but it does take some maintenance through out the year. It's also not real cheap so don't do it just for the honey, you can buy honey cheaper than raising bees. We keep doing for our gardens and knowing we're doing something thats good for the environment.

Here in Ct we're paying about $170 for a Nuc which is 5 frames full of bees and a queen. I started about ten years ago with some help from a guy at work. Its one of those things where someone can tell you everything there is to know but you really need to suit up and apply those thoughts on your own to have them sink in. I've lost at least 5 hives and its hard to say exactly why in three of the cases. I suspect they were weak hives due mite infestation, which I finally figured out how to treat for mites. The other two are easily identified as bad luck and stupidity. I had a large branch knock a hive over and they never recovered and I mistakenly let a hive lean backwards one winter and between snow melt and spring rain the bees couldn't leave the hive so I either starved them or I drowned them.
Yeah, I wouldn't do it for the honey as much as for the hobby, environment, and garden. Honey would be a nice benefit though! I've heard that winter here is the trickiest part for maintaining a hive.

thinde

Lobstah; the other white meat!
Yeah, I wouldn't do it for the honey as much as for the hobby, environment, and garden. Honey would be a nice benefit though! I've heard that winter here is the trickiest part for maintaining a hive.
Winter is by far when most hives go belly up and yes the honey is definitely a bonus.