• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Just got some bone in split chicken breast onto the smoker. Using hickory today.

I’m in full blown “Cousin Eddie” mode from National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Standing by the smoker with a cigar in my mouth and wearing a bathrobe. When the neighbors come out, I’m just gonna hell “Shitter was full!”

Last edited:
As I posted in the beer thread, Oktoberfest technically started yesterday. Grilled some bratwurst, kasekrainer, sauerkraut, and dumpling.

EDIT; I responded to the wrong post! Sorry Jeff this was meant in response to Justin's inquiry.

Its not real difficult but it does take some maintenance through out the year. It's also not real cheap so don't do it just for the honey, you can buy honey cheaper than raising bees. We keep doing for our gardens and knowing we're doing something thats good for the environment.

Here in Ct we're paying about $170 for a Nuc which is 5 frames full of bees and a queen. I started about ten years ago with some help from a guy at work. Its one of those things where someone can tell you everything there is to know but you really need to suit up and apply those thoughts on your own to have them sink in. I've lost at least 5 hives and its hard to say exactly why in three of the cases. I suspect they were weak hives due mite infestation, which I finally figured out how to treat for mites. The other two are easily identified as bad luck and stupidity. I had a large branch knock a hive over and they never recovered and I mistakenly let a hive lean backwards one winter and between snow melt and spring rain the bees couldn't leave the hive so I either starved them or I drowned them.

Inspired by a recent episode of Master Chef, although it's a combination that I wouldn't have otherwise conceived. The fish was too big for the plate, but otherwise, I was pretty happy with the dish.

2020-09-20 19.45.03-1.jpg

Crispy skin salmon, braised red cabbage, French lentils finished in olive oil.

EDIT; I responded to the wrong post! Sorry Jeff this was meant in response to Justin's inquiry.

Its not real difficult but it does take some maintenance through out the year. It's also not real cheap so don't do it just for the honey, you can buy honey cheaper than raising bees. We keep doing for our gardens and knowing we're doing something thats good for the environment.

Here in Ct we're paying about $170 for a Nuc which is 5 frames full of bees and a queen. I started about ten years ago with some help from a guy at work. Its one of those things where someone can tell you everything there is to know but you really need to suit up and apply those thoughts on your own to have them sink in. I've lost at least 5 hives and its hard to say exactly why in three of the cases. I suspect they were weak hives due mite infestation, which I finally figured out how to treat for mites. The other two are easily identified as bad luck and stupidity. I had a large branch knock a hive over and they never recovered and I mistakenly let a hive lean backwards one winter and between snow melt and spring rain the bees couldn't leave the hive so I either starved them or I drowned them.
Yeah, I wouldn't do it for the honey as much as for the hobby, environment, and garden. Honey would be a nice benefit though! I've heard that winter here is the trickiest part for maintaining a hive.

Yeah, I wouldn't do it for the honey as much as for the hobby, environment, and garden. Honey would be a nice benefit though! I've heard that winter here is the trickiest part for maintaining a hive.
Winter is by far when most hives go belly up and yes the honey is definitely a bonus.

It's getting hard to find canned menudo con arroz here lately, which is really weird since I live in SOUTH TEXAS, but I managed:

EiUPMKQX0AIWtud.jpeg

I always cook it down a bit to reduce the broth, and serve it SoCal style over shredded cabbage with tortillas & jalapenos on the side. The other thing I've been up to lately was finally ordering a "top hat" for Vietnamese Iced Coffee:

EiiGZVcWoAAzH0l.jpegEiiGZVaXkAYDdaj.jpeg

Great pick me up at the end of the work day, that's for sure.

~Boar

It had been a while since I cooked some nice steaks for the GF and I, so I bought a ginormous tomahawk. This was as thick as I can ever remembering a steak being. Probably approaching 3" thick. I had to chop off the bone so it could fit in a cast iron skillet.
The money shot:

My buddy introduced me to a wholesale market tucked away in an unassuming industrial office complex. I went there for the first time about a week ago and was just floored at some of the products they had. Just amazing stuff. Everything for the nerdy home foodie. I'll definitely be back. I bought this risotto package and paired it with the steak above.

Everything together. Added some shaved parmesan on top of the risotto. Pardon the not-great pic.

Squash with butter, garlic, sage and parsley over penne. For the first time I smoothed it out with chic broth. My wife likes it liked the way it was and thinks this is decent but I‘m still playing with getting a little more sauce which means I need to saturate the squash first. Easier said than done but it’s a process. BDCE6245-9F91-424D-A1D1-CA83F67C3308.jpeg