• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Had an interesting breakfast experiment this morning. I grew up eating Cream of Wheat and still love it to this day. My mom would usually add cinnamon to the milk while cooking. Every time I taste it it brings me right back to being a kid and sitting at my parents kitchen table. I've made it a hundred times in my life but only once before did I try melting blocks of Mexican hot chocolate tablets into the milk instead of just simply cinnamon. It turned out good, although it needed more of the tablets and the texture of the cereal was changed slightly, becoming a tad more grainy, but not off putting.

I made it again this morning. I added a couple small pieces more of Ibarra chocolate tablets, in addition to a touch more cinnamon. The result was an enjoyable bowl of sugary sweet decadence. Then I had the idea to push it more into the Aztec/Mexican/mole vibe and thought about adding a pepper component. I looked in the spice rack and found some candidates. Regular chili powder seemed too savory (I didn't want a bowl of chili cream of wheat), paprika seemed okay but a tad too subtle, smoked paprika gave off too much smokiness, so I settled on a bottle of ancho chili powder and set aside a portion of the cream of wheat to try it. I was worried the piquant qualities would make it gross, but without overdoing it I found the piquant seemed to play off the sweetness very nicely, balancing it out but also allowing a nice transition from one to the other. Just a very very slight warming from the powder but really no heat was noticed. What was a sugary sweet bowl of cereal was now a more mature, nuanced, and interesting adventure. I swear if a nice Mexican-fusion restaurant served this in a cute bowl they'd charge like $14 for it.

Sorry for the long-winded post. It was really interesting to me this morning and I was kinda surprised how well it worked out.

These look great! I'm too lazy to make my own bagels.
Thanks. I have some changes I’d like to make for the next round to correct the texture. It was actually an easy process, only part that take a lot of time is letting it rise.

Not too many gas stations have restaurants attached that serve such things as wild boar chops, but the one I visited during a trip with friends to the mountains did. It was quite good, too.
I’m sure it was family owned for generations...

Nothing like fresh melon you grew yourself for breakfast. Harry, our Cocker Spaniel loves watermelon and cantaloupe. He’s always over checking on them when I’m out picking vegetables, or weeding the garden. He claims his spot in the kitchen as soon as he sees me pick a few to eat. AAD1EA93-73F4-4964-AACD-B517A1E68795.jpegA4C957FE-BD48-4CD3-8130-33E7770540C2.jpeg