• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Where does everyone's name come from?

wish I had a cool story. :blush:
basically, I gave it about 10 seconds worth of thought and opted for a mindlessly cliché name.
yay.

Thought this might be fun to top.

Mine is from a resort in Costa Rica that in Spanish means Dancing on the Sea, I put the name on my 1st boat and is now on my 3rd boat.

I was tired of using nick's so decided to use my name. :)
Incredible, ha? :p

My handle is a song written by Bob Weir that was regularly performed by The Grateful Dead. They first performed it on October 19, 1971, at Northrop Auditorium, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, and it soon became a staple in their sets, often to open a show.

The origin of the name is interesting:

A mysterious figure dating from the Great Revolt of 1381, aka the Peasants' Revolt, or Wat Tyler's Rebellion. The revolt was in response to heavy and frequent taxes, and started in Essex at the end of May, 1381, though most events were concentrated in June of that year. Jack Straw is a figure of some controversy.

There is also a Jack Straw in Tennessee Williams' Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Act One:
Maggie: "...when he was just overseer here on the old Jack Straw and Peter Ochello place."

jackstraw n. 1. Plural. A game played with a pile of straws or thin sticks, with the players attempting in turn to remove a single stick without disturbing the others. Used with a singular verb. Also called "spilikins." 2. One of the straws or sticks used in this game. Also called spilikin.

I have used this handle for years on various sites that require a sign in name.

Jack Straw was appointed Leader of the House of Commons in May 2006 with responsibility for Lords Reform and Party Funding. Previously he was Secretary of State for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Like Coventry Cat, I use Jack Straw as a sign in to play MSN hearts, and am often referred to as "Mr. Secretary". :D

I see a new member is, also, using this handle.

Devil Dogs are Marines. Devil Docs are those dedicated, intelegent, handsome sailors, who have volunteered to baby sit said Marines and keep them from hurting themselves and innocent bystanders.

Doc.

Mine is SOO original....it' my old Motorola employee ID.

L = stands for L (lol)
E = first initial
S = last initial

017 = I was the 17th person hired at Motorola that had the initials "ES"

the bummer is that everyone on boards thinks my name is Les. C'mon, everyone knows E = Evan

I actually wish I had thought mine out a bit more. I'm from Cincinnati, it's what I came up with when signing up for CP. Oh, well. It works.

contrary to most of the packages i get from you guys, "sheldon" is my middle name, not last.

wish i had a better story than that, but it was the first name that came to mind.

duh...

Like a few others, I wish I'd given it some more thought. "Hawk" or "Hawkeye" would've made better screen names, IMO.

At least I don't have a really bad screen name -- you know, something like "thehatguy". :p

Sunward- using the last half my first name Edward combined with the word Sun.

I still don't know why people insist on calling me Rob here! ???

Edward.

Both my first and last name start with a d have been called double d since grade school.

Mine comes from a motorcycle I bought back in 2003. It was a Suzuki Volusia, and searching the web one night I found a forum, like CP but dedicated to that bike. So upon joining I needed a screen name, just so happens the night before my two boys and I watched The Terminator. So I just combined the bike and the movie...The Volusianator!

Sack is short for Sacramento, my last name. Of course some people have fun with my handle. :laugh:

Rectifythis was a screen name I had a couple of years ago when I had joined forums looking to find out more on my guitar amp, the Mesa Boogie Dual RECTIFIER. Rectify this was kind of my way of shaking a closed fist as if to say, 'you can't find a nastier tone than this'...and it has a dual meaning....rectify this....could be anything that needs to be rectified.

PCmap.jpg

Mine is pretty self explanatory as well,live in a desert area and like to smoke cigars did not put alot of thought into it.