• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

All Things Golf

ilikefishes said:
Who built that? It looks like a sweet track.
Chet Williams, He heads the design team for Nicklaus Golf. 

I am a golf snob and have played close to half of the top 100 and this course is my favorite inland golf course.   It is a golfers paradise.  They just completed a 9 hole par 3 course.  Chet did the design work for it as well.  It is amazing!  Hole #4 and #8 share a 100 yard, by 100 yard double green.  It is the most amazing thing I have seen!  We played 45 holes yesterday.  36 on the big course and 9 on the short course.  Membership is limited to 90 with no waiting list.  If someone drops out, or is asked not to renew for the year, you have to be "invited".

It was built by billionaire coal magnate Corby Robertson.  He foots the bill for the whole club.  With so few members there is no way it makes money.  The course is also only open 30 weeks a year.  It shuts down Mid June (this was the last weekend) and re-opens late Sep and closes November, and re-opens late March.  1/2 of your yearly assessment is tax deductible because he runs the club as a non profit charity.

The club holds the largest amateur event in the world called the "Spirit" .   It is a bi-annual event that is a 2 person best ball team, from 25 countries around the world.

Played Whispering Pines today, #1 Ranked course in Texas and #75 in the world. Pretty special place. I'm guessing it will be in the top 50 next year and the top 10 in the next decade.
What top-10 course would you take out in its place?

azdbacks10 said:
Played Whispering Pines today, #1 Ranked course in Texas and #75 in the world. Pretty special place. I'm guessing it will be in the top 50 next year and the top 10 in the next decade.
What top-10 course would you take out in its place?
I would like to think the top 10 would be an evolving list. I'm not sure what the top 10 looks like now, but the voters put to much emphasis on history' and longevity other than the core of the course. I played Winged Foot a few years ago and was un impressed. It was good, but lacked the wow factor I was looking for. I'm sure it's ranked in the top 20. It's a great classic design, but some of the newer modern designs fit my eye.

Seminole was just okay. The holes along the water are good, but it's a very flat linksy course. I'm sure it's in the top 20 as well.

Shot a 94 on a Saturday...rough round at an away course (a course i played before...and much better!)

Shot an 80 on Sunday...home course with 1 double and 1 bird....low score for the year to date! :D

Going for my second lesson of the summer tomorrow (2nd ever also). What he has me working on feels so weird, but when I do it right I hit the ball night and day better. Hopefully tomorrow will be more progress without too much regression following. I plan on taking a lesson every other week for the summer, I'm very hopeful of the possibilities after the first lesson, but we'll see.

smellysell said:
Going for my second lesson of the summer tomorrow (2nd ever also). What he has me working on feels so weird, but when I do it right I hit the ball night and day better. Hopefully tomorrow will be more progress without too much regression following. I plan on taking a lesson every other week for the summer, I'm very hopeful of the possibilities after the first lesson, but we'll see.

Be patient with the lessons.  There's many things to learn about a proper swing, that it takes quite a while to narrow your thoughts done to very few and develop a "feel" for the swing.  You'll get lots of mechanical instruction for sure, but my advice is to try and sense that "feel" for the swing.  Trust me, it's a lot easier said than done.  I'm at a point where I can sense a lot more of what I'm doing wrong, as opposed to what I'm doing right.

One other thing I would like for in an instructor.....the use of video analysis.  I've found it invaluable to be able to go back and review a lesson.  Sometimes there are nuances you forget because you will receive so many pieces of information over time.  

Good luck, enjoy and don't get frustrated if results don't come quickly!

Frank

smellysell said:

If it feels wrong...you're doing it right!

Along with lessons comes practice. If you havn't 'grooved' the change you made by the next lesson...well, it can be tough.

Ask the instructor what a 'plan' would be and see if that meets your needs.

Also - after a couple full swing ones, you may look at a short game or putting lesson.

Above all...Have Fun!

grateful1 said:

If it feels wrong...you're doing it right!

Along with lessons comes practice. If you havn't 'grooved' the change you made by the next lesson...well, it can be tough.

Ask the instructor what a 'plan' would be and see if that meets your needs.

Also - after a couple full swing ones, you may look at a short game or putting lesson.

Above all...Have Fun!

Short game is the only thing saving me at this point, but before the summer is over I'll take at least one. Planning on a lesson every other week.

I practice every chance I get, between the range at the course and my little mini range in my back yard, I hit balls almost every day. Today I feel like was a breakthrough as I now have my path going in to out, and as a result am not hitting huge banana balls. I know it will take a long time to really groove it, but it's a huge step in the right direction. I'm actually feeling confident about my chances to shoot some decent scores for the first time all summer.

New set of irons arrive today on the brown truck.   Rocketbladez tour irons.   4-AW.   I sure hope I like them.....................

cookie_1978 said:
New set of irons arrive today on the brown truck.   Rocketbladez tour irons.   4-AW.   I sure hope I like them.....................

I almost grabbed a custom set for under $600.

Brand new - 1/2 in over and 1 deg up....would been perfect...had I jumped on them!

The problem - I didn't test any clubs yet, so I don't know which I'd feel best with playing :(

I almost grabbed a custom set for under $600.

Brand new - 1/2 in over and 1 deg up....would been perfect...had I jumped on them!

The problem - I didn't test any clubs yet, so I don't know which I'd feel best with playing :(
Those are the same specs that I use. What have you been looking at?

I actually need 2+ degree upright - figured I could bend them a little.

I've played Mizzy for a bunch of years now. I havn't hit any thing lately so I don't know what I might try.

These are custom from TM, +1/2   -  2* up.   That is what I was measured for years ago, so hopefully these will be fine.   Price was $ 555 shipped.  

Now where the hell is that UPS man.

I have a really nice set of TM Combo (MC/MB) listed on ebay right now.   Same specs +1/2 2* up.   If interested, let me know.  

Well they showed up today.   :D :D They are really a nice looking club.   Hope to play a couple of times over the weekend.   Will report back with results.  

Gary,

I play the AP2 712's, + 1.75", 2 degrees upright and love them.  Just enough forgiveness and the topline doesn't look too clunky at address.  Give them a try.  You may like them.

It seems like a lot of you have been fitted for golf clubs in the past, as have I.  One of the aspects of the fitting, which is prevalent in the last few posts, is lie angle.  My intention is not to insult anyone with good knowledge about lie angles, but here is a link to what I feel is an very good overview on lie angles....may be useful to those who lurk on the thread  :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2wBNCM_-zxA

*edited for syntax correctness