• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gun Case Humidor Build

View attachment 53906

RH has been holding steady at 70% for over a week. Transferred my supply onto the top two shelves, keeping water and beads on the lower three to keep RH up, and will take away/add water as needed. Tonight I added a 2mm thick foam weather strip to the door to make sure it’s sealed up tight (before adding cigars) and the RH shot up right away. Must have had a noticeable leak around the door.
Oh yeah, forgot about the weather stripping.. Had to do the same to mine. What are you latching it with?

ETA: At some point when mine isn't buried in the corner of an unfinished basement, I should add some lights.

@JoeGibs I'm glad things are holding steady while the beads get programmed! If you can keep it that way for a month, you will have the perfect set-up!

Nice job!

Looks good Joe!

Is it possible that your cigars were a touch higher RH than the cabinet?

Not likely. I had them in a tupperware with 69% boveda packs. Overnight the RH worked itself all the way up to 74%, so I removed the rest of the water and will see whats up in a couple hours. Is it possible i'll need to leave the door open for a little bit to dry it out? Also, the beads haven't grown at all and they've been in there for a week and a half. Does it take a full month for them to appear to be taking on water? They still sound dry as sand when I shake the little tupperware they're in.

Not likely. I had them in a tupperware with 69% boveda packs. Overnight the RH worked itself all the way up to 74%, so I removed the rest of the water and will see whats up in a couple hours. Is it possible i'll need to leave the door open for a little bit to dry it out? Also, the beads haven't grown at all and they've been in there for a week and a half. Does it take a full month for them to appear to be taking on water? They still sound dry as sand when I shake the little tupperware they're in.
The beads will never grow or soften, they will slowly turn from white to opaque and even approach being clear. When I have started with 0% beads in a cooler with a Cigar Oasis, I had a transmitting unit buried in the beads and it took a couple weeks before the RH even moved into the teens.

My guess is that you are finally starting to get the beads up near 70% and now you need to remove water step by step to keep them there. Don't forget to stir the beads every day.

Are you moving air with fans?

Well, the beads should be growing as they take on water. This was initially 4 tbsp, and is now bigger than a softball:

20220320_225007.jpg

It took about half a day to take on approx a pint of distilled. Sometimes I will need to leave a door or lid open for a couple days. But I only leave it open a crack as I'm more concerned with outside elements going in. You'll get to learn your cab's strengths and weaknesses over time. Which is what's needed since you'll need to see how it reacts to season changes.

Do you still have those empty boxes?

ps - I've switched those beads over to white nylon.. white will let you see any mold or other discoloration easier.

Well, the beads should be growing as they take on water. This was initially 4 tbsp, and is now bigger than a softball:

View attachment 53914

It took about half a day to take on approx a pint of distilled. Sometimes I will need to leave a door or lid open for a couple days. But I only leave it open a crack as I'm more concerned with outside elements going in. You'll get to learn your cab's strengths and weaknesses over time. Which is what's needed since you'll need to see how it reacts to season changes.

Do you still have those empty boxes?

ps - I've switched those beads over to white nylon.. white will let you see any mold or other discoloration easier.
I'm assuming those are different than the beads he's using based on Jeff's response...

I'm assuming those are different than the beads he's using based on Jeff's response...

That could be.. trying to see if Joe mentioned what kind.. or..

@JoeGibs, what beads are you using? I skimmed quick, but don't recall if you mentioned which ones?

Yep. My beads never changed shape or size, just clarity.

I would also not recommend putting them directly in water or spraying them, they will fracture and you will have dust. That is based on the beads I use and what I suggested @JoeGibs buy.

Yep. My beads never changed shape or size, just clarity.

I would also not recommend putting them directly in water or spraying them, they will fracture and you will have dust. That is based on the beads I use and what I suggested @JoeGibs buy.

Gotcha. What brand? I definitely wouldn't mind looking at something that takes up a smaller footprint.

Agreed, heartfelt beads do not change in size. I noticed the beads in the Cigar Oasis Magna get bigger and that was the first time I've ever seen them do that.

Agreed, heartfelt beads do not change in size. I noticed the beads in the Cigar Oasis Magna get bigger and that was the first time I've ever seen them do that.
I use kitty litter in mine, true story. And some orbeez to provide a little extra humidity while the kitty litter maintains it... 😐

Gotcha. What brand? I definitely wouldn't mind looking at something that takes up a smaller footprint.
I bought 10 pounds of these when I was going to build a walk-in. I never built it but now I have plenty of beads in my coolerdors. These are what I suggested Joe buy as well, and I think he did.

5 pounds beads LINK

I use kitty litter in mine, true story. And some orbeez to provide a little extra humidity while the kitty litter maintains it... 😐
Back in 2008 when some of us were trying to figure out how to program beads, some people found kitty litter that was pure silica beads and they worked great. A new guy, who was a nimrod, bought the wrong kind, they had blue odor crystals. We told him to take that back and get "pure" silica beads. He chose to go through and pick all the blue odor crystals out. After he ruined a bunch of cigars he was pissed at us.😁

I used litter for a while, forget brand, had the blue crystals in it. Couldn't continue.

I'm now using these:

Cigar Caddy beads

That one bag has lasted almost 10 years.

Last edited:
I have seen gel that swells and contracts. The silica beads are hard and fragile.

I wonder if you could eat them to cure diarrhea?:cool: JUST KIDDING .... DON'T ANYBODY TRY THAT!

Back in 2008 when some of us were trying to figure out how to program beads, some people found kitty litter that was pure silica beads and they worked great. A new guy, who was a nimrod, bought the wrong kind, they had blue odor crystals. We told him to take that back and get "pure" silica beads. He chose to go through and pick all the blue odor crystals out. After he ruined a bunch of cigars he was pissed at us.😁

Yup.. someone was going around swearing on that blue crystal brand. He sent me some.. nope!!

Was he on the BOTL forum?

Yup.. someone was going around swearing on that blue crystal brand. He sent me some.. nope!!

Was he on the BOTL forum?
No idea, he was here for a while and flamed out.

I used litter for a while, forget brand, had the blue crystals in it. Couldn't continue.

I'm now using these:

Cigar Caddy beads

That one bag has lasted almost 10 years.
I bought 2 big jugs of the pure silica ones. Have been using them for a long time and can't imagine anything more stable. I go months at a time not doing anything and it holds rock steady. Have had many years to get it dialed in too though, the orbeez were the final piece.