• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gun Case Humidor Build

A098516E-AC2B-4C0C-AA1E-9924745802B0.jpeg

Not so sure I even want to use pieces of these cigar boxes to line the humidor with. Every box I’ve broken down so far is just extremely thin veneer. When I sanded the stickers off the rocky patel boxes, it wore right through to the plywood interior. The undercrown boxes were even worse. I can see from the outside of the Ashton boxes they’re the same. The only ones that look solid are the AF boxes, but they’re so damn small I wouldn’t be able to get much out of them. Bummer. Guess I’ll just leave it as the luan lined with Spanish cedar shelving for now.

Check the Ashton boxes again... they're made by Fuente at the same TAF factory in the DR. I suppose the box maker could be different.. but why would they? The ESG and VSG boxes I know are solid SC.

Rocky may just as well use mdf or cardboard.

Check the Ashton boxes again... they're made by Fuente at the same TAF factory in the DR. I suppose the box maker could be different.. but why would they? The ESG and VSG boxes I know are solid SC.

Rocky may just as well use mdf or cardboard.

6F54E6DC-E8FC-4CA4-A2AA-D0177E55EF2A.jpeg

Ashton box. See the two small slivers with a different piece in between? The AF boxes looks solid indeed, they’re just tiny, I’d need 50 of them. And the AF boxes that are covered in a giant sticker, not worth the effort.

A semi-local cigar store has a wall decorated with cigar box lids, but using the whole lid would burn some real estate in a humidor.

Is there a reason you're wanting to line it?

Just for the sake of lining it with as much spanish cedar as possible. The Luan is just a thin veneered plywood like the cheap boxes i've been tearing apart.

Just for the sake of lining it with as much spanish cedar as possible. The Luan is just a thin veneered plywood like the cheap boxes i've been tearing apart.
Right, but what are you hoping to accomplish with the Spanish cedar?

View attachment 54047

Not so sure I even want to use pieces of these cigar boxes to line the humidor with. Every box I’ve broken down so far is just extremely thin veneer. When I sanded the stickers off the rocky patel boxes, it wore right through to the plywood interior. The undercrown boxes were even worse. I can see from the outside of the Ashton boxes they’re the same. The only ones that look solid are the AF boxes, but they’re so damn small I wouldn’t be able to get much out of them. Bummer. Guess I’ll just leave it as the luan lined with Spanish cedar shelving for now.
I have quite a few Cuban cigar boxes I could box up and send you. I was going to throw them away in the next few weeks. They are all solid cedar.

I have quite a few Cuban cigar boxes I could box up and send you. I was going to throw them away in the next few weeks. They are all solid cedar.

Quite tempting. Like how many boxes are we talking, and what kind of big ass box is it going to take to ship them/cost to ship them I wonder.

Quite tempting. Like how many boxes are we talking, and what kind of big ass box is it going to take to ship them/cost to ship them I wonder.
No idea how many, but im sure it would be a pretty big box 😂

FWIW, a 120qt cooler is pretty big, the last one I got came USPS! Amazon Prime so I'm not sure what the shipping cost was.

The empties would probably weigh more than an empty cooler, but that's the 2nd largest box USPS has delivered that I remember.

FWIW, a 120qt cooler is pretty big, the last one I got came USPS! Amazon Prime so I'm not sure what the shipping cost was.

The empties would probably weigh more than an empty cooler, but that's the 2nd largest box USPS has delivered that I remember.
I sent a brother a number of empty boxes and I don't think it cost me more than seventy-five or eighty dollars.:cool:

Just kidding ..... it was less than $25