• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Happy Thread

So, there was an audio shop on the corner where the bus stop was in Innsbruck last weekend (I assume it's still there, but the economy is volatile...). It was a real mom 'n pop looking electronics place. The window displays really reminded me of the towns around me growing up. Anyway, they had a window full of turntables, and not a single one started below €1,000. Is it really that expensive just to get into the game?

TT is right. The Pro-ject Carbon is a very nice TT (hey, look at that, turntable and Texas Traveler have the same acronym). Several models by Music Hall are well below that price and good TT's, as well (I have one). U-Turn Audio in Boston makes some very decent TT's priced beginning as low as a couple hundred bucks (ditto). You can get a good vintage Dual rebuilt for under $500 (ditto). There are others.

There are people who won't put a record on anything less than a $10,000.00 TT, and there are shops that will not sell even the decent lower priced ones. The Turntable Lab in Manhattan sells really fine TT's but also stocks some like the above, a good source.

Turntables are kinda like fly rods. No one really has to have one, and you can catch a nice trout with a $20 rig from Walmart. But once you've fished with a nice Sage, you will not want to hold that Walmart thing in your hand ever again.

Edit: BTW, I didn't expect Justin to post it here, we did this via PM's, but I'm thrilled to see that fine young man enjoying the AT.

Kind of like everything else, you can spend a little or a lot. Some of the stuff is crazy expensive, but 90% of the records I play are on a vintage Empire 698 that I've modified the tonearm to take modern head shells fitted with a fairly reasonably priced cartridge. Even old Empire tables are a few hundred dollars these days, and they aren't really all that great compared to a nice modern table like the Pro-Ject mentioned above.

I have a Pro-Ject Evo 10CC tonearm that I want to mate up with the motor/platter from a Kenwood turntable one of these days. Just that tonearm is over a grand new these days (I bought mine 2nd hand for quite a bit less).

Getting ready to go eat lunch with a prospective employer. I've sold to this firm for a while, and I like how diverse their market is. Not expecting an offer today, but you never know.

Monday is an interview with the next guy up the ladder.
I'm cautiously optimistic, but even if it doesn't pan out, I have a fresh resume and getting my interview skills polished.

Got to spend the day at MLB’s All star Play ball park event today with my daughter and wife. We got Bert Campy’s auto on A’s caps and got a photo with Pedro Astacio of the Rockies (98-2000). Little one got a photo with Rockies mascot and an all star game mascot baseball card! Great day!

So my wife and kids are terrible at keeping secrets. For my upcoming 45th they surprised me tonight with my gift a bit early but I’m not complaining!! She knew I wanted to get a decorative stand ashtray for the new house and I guess found someone on Etsy that made this. Absolutely perfect and love everything about it!

9398342B-B5AF-4732-9963-4AF9CC41B762.jpeg80BC9459-E419-4B26-92A6-7AEC89F3CC02.jpeg14F93299-5104-42C3-AC20-CF89AB23B5B9.jpegE9B206CE-072D-4EF7-B919-6DECBD41CAD2.jpeg

Last edited:
So my wife and kids are terrible and keeping secrets. For my upcoming 45th they surprised me tonight with my gift a bit early but I’m not complaining!! She knew I wanted to get a decorative stand ashtray for the new house and I guess found someone on Etsy that made this. Absolutely perfect and love everything about it!

View attachment 44989View attachment 44990View attachment 44991View attachment 44992
Looks very cool! How are you going to bolt it to the floor though? I saw that sand storm Saturday night.