• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Happy Thread

After a 6 year hiatus, my buddy and I have finally returned to brewing beer. This was our first time using an electric set up vs our normal propane/gravity set up. It all came back pretty quick though. This all in one unit was highly efficient. I remember brew days used to take 7-8 hours. Today only took about 5, which is good because 8 hours of drinking beer used to lead to stupid mistakes 😂
23645FE9-7D3B-4A7C-85A4-6EF91F6924B0.jpegE21AE850-2AC4-4E05-89F7-FB351DA9A091.jpeg

After a 6 year hiatus, my buddy and I have finally returned to brewing beer. This was our first time using an electric set up vs our normal propane/gravity set up. It all came back pretty quick though. This all in one unit was highly efficient. I remember brew days used to take 7-8 hours. Today only took about 5, which is good because 8 hours of drinking beer used to lead to stupid mistakes 😂
View attachment 46236View attachment 46237
Is the one on top the mash tun?

I had a DIY electric brewery that I made for kegs that was pretty sweet.

ETA: and what did you make?

Is the one on top the mash tun?

I had a DIY electric brewery that I made for kegs that was pretty sweet.

ETA: and what did you make?
TL:DR - Yes.

Yeah, the top cyclinder is the mash tun. We didn’t have an extension for the pump line so we had to batch sparge where we would normally fly sparge. Unfortunately that lowered our efficiency and our SG was a little low. It was a honey kölsch (keeping it simple to learn the equipment). We decided to add a little extra honey after the boil and wound up with a 1.055 SG.

When all is said and done, this set up is really smooth and time efficient, but grain efficiency is a totally different story. The mash tun isn’t really ideal, because to really extract everything from the grains, you have to run the recirculation pump while mashing, so it’s definitely going to be cloudy. We’ll end up using some type of clarifying agent before bottling

Though last night surely fits in the Unhappy Thread, the outcome lands itself here:

So, we spent most of last evening in the ER here after my wife got to enjoy the ambulance ride this time. She somehow cracked her knee on the doorframe, and dropped where she stood. Instant swelling, discoloration, lots of tears and a final relenting by her to actually call an ambulance really meant that something was wrong. They arrived and upon seeing it said, 'Yeah, you probably broke the patella, and maybe other stuff, too". Upon getting to the hospital, the intake nurse saw it and said, "Yeah, looks like you fractured the patella, and could be some soft tissue/ligament damage, too". Upon initial visit and exam by the doctor, he said, "Ouch. Looks like you fractured your patella, and it appears there may be ligament damage, as well. Let's get you an x-ray and MRI". Right about this time several ambulances were heard arriving...

Several critical trauma patients were brought into the ER from an auto accident, so they took priority of the staff and equipment for the time being. They kept my wife on a steady supply of morphine, so she was not in too much pain and actually caught some sleep. They finally got her back to get film and scans -- which all turned out negative; no fractures, tears, stretches or anything requiring extensive recovery. Doctor and nurse were both amazed. He actually ordered another angle of x-ray just to be sure (which was done quickly at this point). She was fitted with a compression bandage and sent on our way. This morning she is already limping around the house on it unsupported, and I suspect will be A-OK by the end of the week. So, "happy" part of all of this is no breaks, casts, surgery, or hospital stays and she is well on the way back to being her neurotic and perpetually moving self. :)

tl;dr -- boom. ouch. oh shit. wait, it's not that bad.

Though last night surely fits in the Unhappy Thread, the outcome lands itself here:

So, we spent most of last evening in the ER here after my wife got to enjoy the ambulance ride this time. She somehow cracked her knee on the doorframe, and dropped where she stood. Instant swelling, discoloration, lots of tears and a final relenting by her to actually call an ambulance really meant that something was wrong. They arrived and upon seeing it said, 'Yeah, you probably broke the patella, and maybe other stuff, too". Upon getting to the hospital, the intake nurse saw it and said, "Yeah, looks like you fractured the patella, and could be some soft tissue/ligament damage, too". Upon initial visit and exam by the doctor, he said, "Ouch. Looks like you fractured your patella, and it appears there may be ligament damage, as well. Let's get you an x-ray and MRI". Right about this time several ambulances were heard arriving...

Several critical trauma patients were brought into the ER from an auto accident, so they took priority of the staff and equipment for the time being. They kept my wife on a steady supply of morphine, so she was not in too much pain and actually caught some sleep. They finally got her back to get film and scans -- which all turned out negative; no fractures, tears, stretches or anything requiring extensive recovery. Doctor and nurse were both amazed. He actually ordered another angle of x-ray just to be sure (which was done quickly at this point). She was fitted with a compression bandage and sent on our way. This morning she is already limping around the house on it unsupported, and I suspect will be A-OK by the end of the week. So, "happy" part of all of this is no breaks, casts, surgery, or hospital stays and she is well on the way back to being her neurotic and perpetually moving self. :)

Glad everything worked out in the long run and hope for a speedy recovery!! Also, I think it's about time you found a new house. This one is dead set on causing injury to everyone in it.

Yeah, the top cyclinder is the mash tun. We didn’t have an extension for the pump line so we had to batch sparge where we would normally fly sparge. Unfortunately that lowered our efficiency and our SG was a little low. It was a honey kölsch (keeping it simple to learn the equipment). We decided to add a little extra honey after the boil and wound up with a 1.055 SG.

When all is said and done, this set up is really smooth and time efficient, but grain efficiency is a totally different story. The mash tun isn’t really ideal, because to really extract everything from the grains, you have to run the recirculation pump while mashing, so it’s definitely going to be cloudy. We’ll end up using some type of clarifying agent before bottling
Did you find it more/less difficult to maintain Temps on electric?
Did you add the hops near the end of the boil ?

Is the mash tun insulated at all? I tried all sorts of different tuns, and ended up going back to a cooler because it just worked the best. I always batch sparged in 2 batches and got good, consistent efficiency that way. I found grain milling to be the most important factor really. Hopefully the particulate will settle out while it ferments and a secondary will clear it up. Isn't cloudy beer cool now anyways though? 😂

Is the mash tun insulated at all? I tried all sorts of different tuns, and ended up going back to a cooler because it just worked the best. I always batch sparged in 2 batches and got good, consistent efficiency that way. I found grain milling to be the most important factor really. Hopefully the particulate will settle out while it ferments and a secondary will clear it up. Isn't cloudy beer cool now anyways though? 😂
It’s cool for like an NEIPA but not so much in a kolsch lol. The unit itself is insulated and the cylinder (tun) steeps in the water. The photo was taken during sparging so it doesn’t actually sit that high when mashing. It’s almost similar to a brew in bag except the bag is the metal cylinder. I much prefer mashing in our old cooler which had a screen attached to the bulkhead. Once we can fly sparge it won’t be such a big deal because it doesn’t disturb the grain bed nearly as much. We are going to put isinglass in the secondary. I’ve used it for wine, never tried it on beer. I’ll report back 😎

This really sucks, but I am glad it turned out way better than expected. I also agree with @PaulTra that the house you are in is certainly trying to kill you!

Did you find it more/less difficult to maintain Temps on electric?
Did you add the hops near the end of the boil ?
The temp was finicky. This drops a lot more when you add grain than our propane burner did. As for hops, it depends on the recipe. IRCC hops added earlier in the boil are more for flavor while hops added near the end (and dry hopped) are for aroma.

Did any of the doctors or nurses recognize you? How many more ER visits before you have your name engraved on a coffee mug there?

Here is a video from our last walk on the beach last night. We meet up with a turtle and than got completely surprised by a 3’ sneaker wave from the storm surge. The two prominent southern draws you will here are my BIL and SIL, 😂