• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Happy Thread

I’m going to use clean gravel, probably #57 stone, and then use a smooth river rock or pea gravel for the last few inches. Something smooth enough that you could walk on bare foot with out cursing

Great choice! Can’t tell you how many inspections I go to where someone built stairs just like yours, and they use bricks, or some sort of pavers inside. They Always settle down inside faster than the stairs do and it becomes a tripping hazard. A lot easier to freshen up with rock or pea gravel if needed a few years down the road.

No photos, but I had the pleasure of hanging out with @Smokin'Sims (James) and his son John yesterday for a few hours here in town. I met them at the airport in Amsterdam, trained it down to The Hague (where all of my smoking and eating plans were thwarted by the COVID), so then finally ended up at Schloß Kann for some cigars and drink. It's always great to meet a BOTL from here (and their family), and I'm happy that James chose to spend his extra time in the Netherlands associating with the likes of me.

No photos, but I had the pleasure of hanging out with @Smokin'Sims (James) and his son John yesterday for a few hours here in town. I met them at the airport in Amsterdam, trained it down to The Hague (where all of my smoking and eating plans were thwarted by the COVID), so then finally ended up at Schloß Kann for some cigars and drink. It's always great to meet a BOTL from here (and their family), and I'm happy that James chose to spend his extra time in the Netherlands associating with the likes of me.
Awesome!!

Oh I see! You can go meet James, but I’m not good enough to take a train....

That looks nice, and dresses things up a bit.
Yeah it turned out pretty good, now I have to wait a few weeks for treated wood to dry out enough to stain it all and thrown down some river rock and I will be in business on that side of the house. But the bosses (wife) list is never ending, LOL

I’m going to use clean gravel, probably #57 stone, and then use a smooth river rock or pea gravel for the last few inches. Something smooth enough that you could walk on bare foot with out cursing
Jon, that looks so good. I have always like smooth river rock, but pea gravel might make more sense and easier to touch up in the future. Looking forward to seeing the finished product when you are ready. But a question, are you putting down a barrier before the #57 or are you laying it on bare earth? Just thinking about the settling issues.

Last edited:
I got the last few steps done this weekend. It took many hours in 100 degree heat index days but the last timbers are in, and bolted. Now I need to get them ready for stone but first I’m going to enjoy this milestone. It felt like a great idea back in March. When July came around, it felt like this was never going to end. 87B25072-4D69-4049-8F50-9A43B22D0E7C.jpegECFB424C-5483-48E5-A924-7E1C6B6CB936.jpeg89597E1B-6092-45D9-8DED-203FA0519004.jpeg

Won't you end up with weeds poking their way through?
Possibly but I think the average depth of stone will be about 7” so any weeds that I do encounter are likely going to have started on the top of the steps, not coming through from the bottom.