• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Liquor Acquisitions 2022

Just in case anyone cares, from Makers Mark:

On a distillery tour, a visitor told me he always thought Maker’s 46® was aged for 46 years! Not at that price, I joked. I still chuckle about it but admit the bottle can cause confusion. That’s why we decided to enhance the package in a great way, bringing it closer to my grandmother Margie’s iconic design. And stating clearly on the label what 46 is all about: a first-of-its-kind French-oaked bourbon.

The hand-dipped wax. The iconic silhouette. The hand-cut, scalloped-edge label. You know the design by heart. And there’s no denying this look is a piece of history that’s near and dear to my family’s hearts. But I assure you that while we’ve improved the outside, every detail of the Maker’s 46® inside remains true to how my dad created it.

Now, you’re officially one of the first to know what to look for when the new design hits shelves in the coming months. For the collector, this may be a good time to score the old bottle. (Which, one last time, is NOT aged for 46 years!)

Just in case anyone cares, from Makers Mark:

On a distillery tour, a visitor told me he always thought Maker’s 46® was aged for 46 years! ....
Oof, a 46 year aged bourbon would be fucking nasty. It is already difficult enough to keep 12+ year old bourbon from becoming too oaky and astringent.

I just learned something. I had an Old Fashioned where they used Mezcal with Bourbon. I just learned Mezcal was smoky (tequila?).

Not quite what you might think. And not an acquisition. A friend who makes many things in his basement took me to see the operation last Saturday after golf. It is quite the set up! He has hundreds of bottles of wine racked and labeled, he has dozens and dozens of empty Woodford Reserve Double Oaked bottles, and a few dozen full ones, and dozens of quart jars of moon shine at varying ABV.

He gave me a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, a bottle of dry white wine, and this bottled of oaked moonshine. He asked me for my honest opinion. Both of the wines were impressively good! The oaked moonshine will have to be tried a few more times before I am willing to give him an opinion.

1646850919759.png

Not quite what you might think. And not an acquisition. A friend who makes many things in his basement took me to see the operation last Saturday after golf. It is quite the set up! He has hundreds of bottles of wine racked and labeled, he has dozens and dozens of empty Woodford Reserve Double Oaked bottles, and a few dozen full ones, and dozens of quart jars of moon shine at varying ABV.

He gave me a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, a bottle of dry white wine, and this bottled of oaked moonshine. He asked me for my honest opinion. Both of the wines were impressively good! The oaked moonshine will have to be tried a few more times before I am willing to give him an opinion.

View attachment 52997
I think Floyd mentioned a Double Double Oaked. Sounds like this might be the guy that has it or will get it.

I just learned something. I had an Old Fashioned where they used Mezcal with Bourbon. I just learned Mezcal was smoky (tequila?).
I believe the maguey to make mezcal is roasted/charred which imparts a smokey flavor. I don't believe this process is done for tequila. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oof, a 46 year aged bourbon would be fucking nasty. It is already difficult enough to keep 12+ year old bourbon from becoming too oaky and astringent.

This reminds me.. anyone remember when Maker's started their Ambassador's Club? This was probably 15 years or so ago. One of the perks was I had my name engraved and plated on an aging barrel.

I used to get all kinds of shwag from them, especially over the holidays. They use to do ugly sweaters for the bottles and gimmicky stuff like that. But these MM posts have reminded me I haven't heard anything from them in years.

Anyone else remember or a part of that club?