• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What’s on the grill/smoker today? 2020

Do it!
So check this out...in a couple weeks it’s my step son birthday...30th. Looking at smoking a prime rib. Not 100% sure yet but I’ll have pics if we do.
Do it! One of my favorite things to smoke, wife makes me do one every Christmas.

Do it!

Do it! One of my favorite things to smoke, wife makes me do one every Christmas.

Do you have any tips? Smoke the entire time? Pull off early so it’s not well done? Types of chips to use?

Do you have any tips? Smoke the entire time? Pull off early so it’s not well done? Types of chips to use?
Smoke hot for the whole time, around 300 or 350. I almost always use cherry or apple, sometimes pecan, for pretty much everything.

Apple was the first type I tried and I personally didn't care much for it. Have not tried cherry wood. I think thus far I've tried maple, apple, and pecan. Pecan was nice, but I think I prefer maple.

Apple was the first type I tried and I personally didn't care much for it. Have not tried cherry wood. I think thus far I've tried maple, apple, and pecan. Pecan was nice, but I think I prefer maple.
I've never tried maple, I'll have to find some.

Do you have a recipe? Did you just do indirect heat on the grill?

Usually when I make something like this, I'll look around at a few recipes to get an idea where they're going. If there are ingredients I don't have, or will have trouble getting, or just don't want to use, I improvise. This recipe was no different. That's why I'm calling it "al pastor style".

I used a 4lb boneless pork shoulder, skin off. Slice it across the grain. My knives aren't great, so I couldn't get it real thin, but it was still fine.

Marinade (mix this all together):
  • 1 C orange juice (most recipes said called for pineapple. I saw a couple that said OJ was more authentic. I didn't have pineapple juice, probably wouldn't use a whole can, and OJ doesn't have bromelain, so I went with OJ)
  • 3/4 C white vinegar
  • 1 head of garlic chopped up
  • 1 tbsp oregano
  • 1 tbsp thyme
  • 1 tbsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp chili powder (scaled back from 2 because my wife doesn't like spicy as much as I do)
  • 2 tbsp cumin
  • half a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped up until it's pretty much a paste (I removed as many seeds as possible, again, because of the wife)
Mix that all together, throw it in a bag with the pork slices. Let marinate overnight.
I saved the used marinade, cooked it down to reduce it and make it safer for use.

You're going to need to figure out a way to get this to stand up. I used 3 wooden skewers in a triangle, then threaded everything on. Thick slice of pineapple on the bottom, stack the pork on top (each slice may not be big enough to hit all 3 skewers, so just be mindful of keeping the pork pile as even as possible), thick slice of pineapple on top.

Indirect heat (I had a small pile of coals on each side with some wood). 250* for like 3 hours. very now and then I'd open it up to make sure it didn't fall over. I'd brush the cooked down marinade over the pork when I checked on it.

Next time I do it, I'll probably slice off the outsides of it and then let the inside cook up a little more. But it was a good mix of crispy bits on the outside and softer pieces in the middle. Wife also like the inner pieces more because they didn't have the marinade brushed on. I chopped it all up (including the cooked pineapple pieces) and served it with a pineapple salsa verde for tacos.

Ok tomorrow the prime rib hits the smoker. Actually we have a 5.5 lb prime rib for the smoker, and a 2.8 lb , less seasoned and will be more well done (in the oven in the house). Don’t judge, don’t ask, I get it lol.

Anyway, here is a pic of the 5.5 lb, seasoned and ready to rest until tomorrow when it finds its way to Smokey goodness..

Attachments

• EA9F7DBA-ABF7-49D2-9734-23820BF1DDEF.jpeg
    EA9F7DBA-ABF7-49D2-9734-23820BF1DDEF.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 5