• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What’s on the grill/smoker today? 2020

So smoked a pork butt on the Rec-tec yesterday. No pics unfortunately but a question to all. The butt hit a stall at 180 and just really wouldn’t budge. I wrapped it (something I personally try to avoid) and even resorted to raising the temp. I eventually got it to the 205 I like to hit before I pull it off but it sure fought me the entire time.

Anyone have any tips should this happen again? This is the first summer with the rec-tec, before this I’ve only smoked on a Pit Barrel smoker so any help is appreciated.

So smoked a pork butt on the Rec-tec yesterday. No pics unfortunately but a question to all. The butt hit a stall at 180 and just really wouldn’t budge. I wrapped it (something I personally try to avoid) and even resorted to raising the temp. I eventually got it to the 205 I like to hit before I pull it off but it sure fought me the entire time.

Anyone have any tips should this happen again? This is the first summer with the rec-tec, before this I’ve only smoked on a Pit Barrel smoker so any help is appreciated.
My personal opinion is NEVER raise the heat to beat the stall. Wrapping in tin foil works like a charm for me. If you are concerned about bark quality (which tin foil doesn’t typically create too much of an issue) you can unwrap it at 190 and put it back in the smoker uncovered until 195-197. Then pull it off and into the cooler to rest for an hour or so. I like to pull mine off at 195 because I’ve found if I wait until 203-205 it will keep climbing while resting and start to toughen up. YMMV

My personal opinion is NEVER raise the heat to beat the stall. Wrapping in tin foil works like a charm for me. If you are concerned about bark quality (which tin foil doesn’t typically create too much of an issue) you can unwrap it at 190 and put it back in the smoker uncovered until 195-197. Then pull it off and into the cooler to rest for an hour or so. I like to pull mine off at 195 because I’ve found if I wait until 203-205 it will keep climbing while resting and start to toughen up. YMMV

I agree with this. The only time I ever consider it is if I’m holding up people at a get together from eating. But you have to be careful if you try this.

I wonder if the butt in question was bone in or boneless? I would think a bone in one would stall easier than the others.

Constant opening of the door to spritz or to check or tend to chips and stuff can make a stall last longer.

The best way to combat this stall though is to drink more beer while you wait. ;)

Wow that bacon looks amazing!
I really need to get a meat slicer. After making my own, it's so much better than anything you can get in a store (not to mention cost) that buying store bought bacon is going to be a rare occurrence. Slicing it with every a very sharp knife is a bit of a pain though.

I really need to get a meat slicer. After making my own, it's so much better than anything you can get in a store (not to mention cost) that buying store bought bacon is going to be a rare occurrence. Slicing it with every a very sharp knife is a bit of a pain though.
Where did you get your curing salt from? That and your recipe? I’ve been seeing some nice looking pork bellys at Costco and have been wanting to make my own bacon as well.

Where did you get your curing salt from? That and your recipe? I’ve been seeing some nice looking pork bellys at Costco and have been wanting to make my own bacon as well.
I think Winco, but can't remember for sure, for the curing salt. Pork belly from Costco is nice because you can make several batches with it and try different recipes/techniques. I've just been doing hodge podge of different recipes I find online with the amazingribs.com technique.

I think Winco, but can't remember for sure, for the curing salt. Pork belly from Costco is nice because you can make several batches with it and try different recipes/techniques. I've just been doing hodge podge of different recipes I find online with the amazingribs.com technique.
Not something we have here. Even though people hunt and fish, your average Joe isn’t into curing meat. Guess I’ll see what I can find online.

Same. We were just at Costco and saw some pork belly. They also seemed to have briskets, back priced at the "normal" price range.

Same. We were just at Costco and saw some pork belly. They also seemed to have briskets, back priced at the "normal" price range.
I was at Winco a while back and they had full packers for $3 a pound, so I bought a few and threw them in the freezer. Also had tenderloins for $6 a pound, so have a few of those in the freezer too.