• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What’s on the grill/smoker today? 2020

Brisket Question
I asked on Saturday’s Virtual Herf about how y’all make brisket. I had some this past week which was awesome and I’m interested in learning how to make my own. What resources would you point a guy towards who has never smoked food but feels comfortable around a charcoal grill. Also, I don’t own a smoker, just a Weber kettle.
Thanks in advance.

Had the family over for a birthday celebration. St. Louis style ribs. Also threw on some marinated chicken & a few prime rib steaks with grilled veggies.

Attachments

• 182AF8F4-216B-40ED-AE08-02CF35318BBC.jpeg
    182AF8F4-216B-40ED-AE08-02CF35318BBC.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 7
Brisket Question
I asked on Saturday’s Virtual Herf about how y’all make brisket. I had some this past week which was awesome and I’m interested in learning how to make my own. What resources would you point a guy towards who has never smoked food but feels comfortable around a charcoal grill. Also, I don’t own a smoker, just a Weber kettle.
Thanks in advance.
Would be tough/damn near impossible to do on a Weber kettle. Trick is low/indirect heat for a looooooong time, and smoke obviously. Pellet smokers are easiest, but spendy. Variety of different charcoal options that vary in price and amount of babysitting/fine tuning required, as well as cost. I think there are some decent propane options, but no personal experience. Electric are garbage unless spending for the expensive ones.

Brisket Question
Thanks in advance.
Justin kind of said it. I'd think the only other way would be in the oven and that would not be ideal at all!!!

Brisket Question
Thanks in advance.
I don't have one but I've seen this used to turn the kettle into an indirect cooker.

Hey I did my prime rib on electric! :). I also own a dual fuel propane/charcoal.

You can do brisket on a kettle but you have to know your kettle. The hard part is not lifting the lid. You also need a grill grate that opens on one side in case you need to add charcoal, and probably a chimney style charcoal starter.

Now I’ve never smoked a brisket on it, but I’ve done ribs, chicken, salmon and various other things on my weber kettle which was the first “smoker” I had before the duel fuel and the electric. You have to babysit it a bit to monitor temps and control the burn on the charcoal.

One tip I can offer with the kettle is adding unlit charcoal around the lit stuff, there is info about this on the web. Essentially as the first coals are dying, the next ones are lighting, and you get a longer run.

I believe that's called the minion method. I typically use that method, especially for long cook sessions like ribs and pork butt.

Thats my method for my WSM. Brisket would be hard in a kettle and 8t is not a forgiving meat. Would be a expensive mistake if it doesn't go right.

Thats my method for my WSM. Brisket would be hard in a kettle and 8t is not a forgiving meat. Would be a expensive mistake if it doesn't go right.

I think it’s all about the size of the brisket and trying to monitor the temps. You really have to know how to control your temps when smoking on a regular kettle. For instance I would probably go with chips, soaked, in tinfoil with holes poked in the bottom of the tinfoil. Reason is if they light, you can get them out quicker than a flaming chunk of wood. If I wanted to use chunks, I would likely soak them as well, but you have to be prepared for when they dry out, as if they light your temp will spike. Then every time you lift the lid, your going to lose temp and it could be a struggle to get it back, unless your minions (thanks for reminding me what it is called) haven’t fully taken off yet.

With a kettle it’s really all about trying to not lift the lid ever.

It’s really not much different on my duel fuel vertical, other than you have a firebox area to open. Still let’s out some heat but some still is trapped up where the food is. Lately I have only used it on propane, just based on the consistency of the temps.

I was gifted a mes40 and I use that most often. It works good, temps are stable and surprisingly accurate, and you can put a lot on it if you want. Plus side is you almost never have to open it unless your spritzing the meat.

Just the flat? It won't take as long as a whole brisket. Excited to see your results!
Yeah, couldn’t fit the whole brisket and my local butcher keeps flats on hand. I’ve been at 153 for about 3.5 hours now. Wrapped it in butcher paper but still not budging. Hoping it clears the stall soon, cause I’m gonna have some hungry company, but I refuse to pull it early. Lol

Yeah, couldn’t fit the whole brisket and my local butcher keeps flats on hand. I’ve been at 153 for about 3.5 hours now. Wrapped it in butcher paper but still not budging. Hoping it clears the stall soon, cause I’m gonna have some hungry company, but I refuse to pull it early. Lol

Give it time to break down and you'll be happy you did, so will your guests. Since you've wrapped it, you could always bump the temp of your smoker and see if that helps it get through the stall.