• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What’s on the grill/smoker today? 2021

@cabaiguan juan pork butt is a bland piece of meat to begin with. There are a few things you can do to help with this. 1) Obviously you don't have to wrap it unless you are trying to get through a stall. Not wrapping will allow more smoke into the meat. 2) You can inject your pork butt with some liquid seasoning, a lot of professionals do this. 3) When pulling your pork butt make sure to mix the bark with the inner meat to help spread the flavor around and you can always add a little bit of your dry rub at that time as well. 4) Serve with a sauce
5) "Dry brine" it 24 hours before smoking. Right before going on the smoker take it out of the fridge, apply binder of choice (I like olive oil), and then apply saltless rub aggressively, when you think it's too much, add a little more. I try to dry brine everything I smoke, and it makes a huge difference, supposedly it allows time for the salt to actually permeate the meat.

I don't personally wrap or spritz, and you're on the right track with prone tender instead of using the thermometer. I like to twist the bone on a pork butt to tell when it's done.

@cabaiguan juan pork butt is a bland piece of meat to begin with. There are a few things you can do to help with this. 1) Obviously you don't have to wrap it unless you are trying to get through a stall. Not wrapping will allow more smoke into the meat. 2) You can inject your pork butt with some liquid seasoning, a lot of professionals do this. 3) When pulling your pork butt make sure to mix the bark with the inner meat to help spread the flavor around and you can always add a little bit of your dry rub at that time as well. 4) Serve with a sauce
This!

5) "Dry brine" it 24 hours before smoking. Right before going on the smoker take it out of the fridge, apply binder of choice (I like olive oil), and then apply saltless rub aggressively, when you think it's too much, add a little more. I try to dry brine everything I smoke, and it makes a huge difference, supposedly it allows time for the salt to actually permeate the meat.

I don't personally wrap or spritz, and you're on the right track with prone tender instead of using the thermometer. I like to twist the bone on a pork butt to tell when it's done.

I use mustard

If I wrap it, there is always juices that I save. I’ll mix those with more rub and mix it in with the pork. It always adds more flavor.

Okay, so how do you determine if what you pull of the grill is any good or not if it’s a bland piece of meat? What do you look for? I’ve seen the other posts about ways to add flavor and I’ll try some of them next time but how do I know I’m off to the right start?

Okay, so how do you determine if what you pull of the grill is any good or not if it’s a bland piece of meat? What do you look for? I’ve seen the other posts about ways to add flavor and I’ll try some of them next time but how do I know I’m off to the right start?
IMO, the fresher the better. Two ways to get the freshest meat. 1) If you use a local butcher shop, try to talk a little with them and simply ask for the freshest cut he has, most of them when asked will get you what you want and save the other meat for the person that doesn't ask. 2) Sam's and Costco typically have really good meat, at least mine does. I think if has to do with quantity sold, so nothing is sitting around for long. Look for pieces that are packaged really well and sealed good.

I use mustard
Gross

Just has to have oil because most spices aren't water soluble.
IMO, the fresher the better. Two ways to get the freshest meat. 1) If you use a local butcher shop, try to talk a little with them and simply ask for the freshest cut he has, most of them when asked will get you what you want and save the other meat for the person that doesn't ask. 2) Sam's and Costco typically have really good meat, at least mine does. I think if has to do with quantity sold, so nothing is sitting around for long. Look for pieces that are packaged really well and sealed good.
What he said.

I've never added anything after pulling it for more flavor. Never have felt the need, but you guys have me intrigued now.

Sauce? Is yes, what kind?

Gross

Just has to have oil because most spices aren't water soluble.

What he said.

I've never added anything after pulling it for more flavor. Never have felt the need, but you guys have me intrigued now.

Sauce? Is yes, what kind?
Whatever sauce you like. I like a sauce that is based off of the meats drippings, then you can spice that up with ketchup, worcestershire, chili powder, garlic, cumin ect

Lately I’ve been shying away from mustard before my rubs and just going straight rub right on the meat. Sometimes I make my own, sometimes it’s a pre made or a mix of some premades etc etc.

For my pork butts I always rub the night before and wrap in plastic wrap. I like to let it sit “overnight” but most of the time I’ll start at 4am and finish around 4 pm. I do wrap with foil but only because I’ve yet to get or find the butcher paper.

Usually I freak because it runs up temp super quick and then stalls for quite awhile. So I get nervous that I’ll be eating at noon instead of 4 or 5. If it finishes early say around 3, I’ll pull the whole thing, foil and all, and wrap in some beach towels and put in a cooler until we are ready to eat. It’s always hot and delicious that way. :)

Lately I’ve been shying away from mustard before my rubs and just going straight rub right on the meat. Sometimes I make my own, sometimes it’s a pre made or a mix of some premades etc etc.

For my pork butts I always rub the night before and wrap in plastic wrap. I like to let it sit “overnight” but most of the time I’ll start at 4am and finish around 4 pm. I do wrap with foil but only because I’ve yet to get or find the butcher paper.

Usually I freak because it runs up temp super quick and then stalls for quite awhile. So I get nervous that I’ll be eating at noon instead of 4 or 5. If it finishes early say around 3, I’ll pull the whole thing, foil and all, and wrap in some beach towels and put in a cooler until we are ready to eat. It’s always hot and delicious that way. :)
I think I've probably said it on here before, but I've taken stuff out of the cooler 6 hours later and it's still so hot it burns my hands.

I think I've probably said it on here before, but I've taken stuff out of the cooler 6 hours later and it's still so hot it burns my hands.
Yup. It’s never bad that way is it?

Same. Even the turkeys I’ve smoked, I’ve pulled out of the cooler 3 hrs later and they’re still hot. I do put some towels as more insulation, in the cooler.

Best part about the cooler is even than smells amazing for awhile!