• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What’s on the grill/smoker today? 2021

I can’t speak for Wisconsin, but next door in Minnesota, we like to crock pot brats, you keep your pre-packaged crap, we go to the butcher for real ones. Add jalapeños, onion, bell peppers and whatever else sounds good in a half beef half water mix, use real beer no lights, set on warm setting for 8 hours minimum, then toss on the grill to finish with a char. Put all the add ins in a foil pouch on the grill to use as toppings. Poke brats in maybe 10 spots before crock pot so they better absorb flavor.

But I’m also curious what the true Wisconsin way to do it is.

Very similar, but in a pot with beer/onions and for 30 minutes or so. Then on a preheated grill for the color/grill flavor. I throw the onions in foil with butter, salt/pepper and cook for garnish. The jalapeños sound like a great addition.

I’m not a native Wisconsiner, but know plenty.

Very similar, but in a pot with beer/onions and for 30 minutes or so. Then on a preheated grill for the color/grill flavor. I throw the onions in foil with butter, salt/pepper and cook for garnish. The jalapeños sound like a great addition.

I’m not a native Wisconsiner, but know plenty.

As a 45 year veteran of the Dairy State, this is ^^^ how it's done. I just take the beer soaked onion and throw it in with fresh cut onion in a skillet on high flame for a couple minutes. Enough to dry down the soaked ones and caramelize the fresh ones.

That allows me to retain that great onion crunch while also having the beer flavor.

In other WI news, Aaron Rodgers is dating a woman named "Blu of Earth"... and that's not from The Onion. Oh Aaron... *sigh.

ETA: For those able, next year you should make your way to Madison for World's Largest BratFest:

It's an experience with great food/entertainment for the whole fam.

Last edited:
Legs and thighs with lots of honey bbq sauce just for Justin! 🤤😋
6f950ad7-93a8-42ee-94ac-47d5dc0d9d5e-jpeg.57038

725CCBA1-1CD2-4939-8CD1-4CD7D07C83C0.jpeg

Attachments

• 6F950AD7-93A8-42EE-94AC-47D5DC0D9D5E.jpeg
    6F950AD7-93A8-42EE-94AC-47D5DC0D9D5E.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 56
Those look like some nice, meaty ribs. Is the glaze just Dr pepper, or other stuff too?
I am experimenting a little. I just salt and peppered them, smoked them for 2 hours, then put them in a foil bowl of DP and glazed them with a bbq/DP sauce for another 2. We will see how they turn out.

I am experimenting a little. I just salt and peppered them, smoked them for 2 hours, then put them in a foil bowl of DP and glazed them with a bbq/DP sauce for another 2. We will see how they turn out.
Can't wait to hear. I like mine dry with a tiny bit of sauce seared on right at the end, but there's no such thing as a bad way to do ribs as far as I'm concerned.

Can't wait to hear. I like mine dry with a tiny bit of sauce seared on right at the end, but there's no such thing as a bad way to do ribs as far as I'm concerned.
Almost done, looking pretty good. Hopefully they taste as good as they look. Finished them off in the air fryer for last 10 minutes to get a good char.
A3653284-9825-4AAB-A6DE-B809ED92951B.jpeg
6182B922-FADE-4295-A972-138BF4ED6D51.jpeg

Last edited: