• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WTF is going on lately

Good post Tim! I tend to agree with most of what you said. Also, others have made good posts in this thread as well.

The only real issue I tend to have on this and other boards, and Brian apologized to this earlier, is threadjacking. If you are going to have a conversation with someone over multiple posts in someone else's thread, that is pretty disrespectful imho. I know it is easy to get carried away like Brian said, but just take it to PM. MMMMMMMMMk?? :thumbs: :cool:

I tend to be in the camp that believes that forums have a way of sorting themselves out, and that this isn't a big issue.

Wasn't going to post about it at all, until I read a few of the posts that are really pretty nasty. I'm sorry to see that.

I hear what your saying Wilkey, thanks for your input and wisdom. I agree wholeheartedly with your comments, I know it is a tangled web that we all weave and that a community is built of ALL parts not just the desirable ones.
How right you are. We really do have an enormous diversity of voices and styles here on CP. As DDog states, the community tends to be self-pruning. The heart here is strong. The core ideals tend to pull things back on course when upsets inevitably occur. Those who cannot or will not ride the currents will drift away. And sometimes you've got to give the raft a push.

The fact that a member in good standing can post on such a potentially polarizing topic and get back thoughtful viewpoints is a very good sign. Hell, Swissy made a fistful of great points in his post.

I think that we might try slicing up the situation in another way just to see if it sheds further light on things.

Let's say that as the membership grows, there is a further increase in these fluff/fun/frivolity posts. And let's say that even fairly stringent measures (that do not seriously diminish the open and friendly atmosphere) taken to quell that have met with limited success. I think that in that case, we could conclude that this has become a persistent feature of the community. Maybe one that only emerges as a problem when there are 5,000 members as opposed to when there were 2,000. For anyone who is familiar with dynamic systems theory, you'll know what I mean.

In any case, one option at that time would be to take even harsher actions and risk changing the nature of CP. Alternatively, it might be suggested to Rod that we could use a "Way Off Topic" forum to shunt these impulses. Of course the final decision would be Rod's. But the decision might come down to one of "gripping more firmly" versus "relieving the tension."

Wilkey

Good post Tim! I tend to agree with most of what you said. Also, others have made good posts in this thread as well.

The only real issue I tend to have on this and other boards, and Brian apologized to this earlier, is threadjacking. If you are going to have a conversation with someone over multiple posts in someone else's thread, that is pretty disrespectful imho. I know it is easy to get carried away like Brian said, but just take it to PM. MMMMMMMMMk?? :thumbs: :cool:

Brian who?? ???

Brian who?? ???

Dammit John....my bad! Lol! I need to stop drinking so early :blush:

I agree, there are a lot of senseless posting at times on this site, and I have been guilty of it too.

But I think that this topic is a very fine double edge sword. I understand the burden that it puts on Rob to have to maintain a a$ load of crap post but, if we make it seem that only cigar content be posted then this place will lose the human quality that helps set it apart from just being another technical forum about a hobby or lifestyle.

I think we still need off topic post and threads, they help flesh out the membership, keeps them from just being a name on a page.
Furthermore, as a community, we do need to be a little bit more responsible about what we post as well.

Tim

Who? :rolleyes: :laugh:

I agree with what has been said here and I also think people need to slow their roll on the attitude of entitlement. Just my 2c but for my first six months here I was not remotely interested in getting into the 'drama' surrounding the weeding out process that takes place on this board. It sure seems to me like a lot of pretty new members feel they are in a position to tell the newer new members 'how it is' here and share their opinion on every little thing. Even when I signed up here a year ago guys that had that sort of attitude would have gotten the smack down from some of our older esteemed members. If you don't believe me use the search feature :cool:

I have noticed it too, but the second post in this thread is a fine example of wasting Rod's bandwith.......

Aw heck Bro, you still sore about the Football and Basketball games? ;) :p Sarcastic humor isn't a bad thing in the Lounge, IMO.

As several people have said, this forum is a nice blend of different personalities, and although some will not mesh well with each others, most will. I see Tim's point, and although i can't say i agree entirely, it is simply him expressing his opinion, and that's a good thing. I think the silliness and bantering does need to be restricted to the lounge, that is the place for that, and if it gets out of line, there are folks here that will 'correct' the person(s) getting out of line.

gay_thread.jpg

Don't let Kevin7's post count fool you - he's earned his stripes within the cigar community. ;)

My comment regarding this topic : if someone routinely posts 15+ posts daily, posts of substance are not their objective. A few manage to be an exception....

Don't let Kevin7's post count fool you - he's earned his stripes within the cigar community. ;)

My comment regarding this topic : if someone routinely posts 15+ posts daily, posts of substance are not their objective. A few manage to be an exception....

Post count??? It was a generalized statement. That is what this thread is about. Some people do post cause they think they can. They don't put a whole lot of thought into things. If it came across as pointed at Kevin then I apologize.

Back on topic, I see that several members have contributed to a meaningful discussion on Tim's original post. That, gentlemen, is what a well functioning community based on mutual respect and consideration has to offer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, CigarPass is the finest online cigar community on the internet. :thumbs:

Wilkey

How right you are. We really do have an enormous diversity of voices and styles here on CP. As DDog states, the community tends to be self-pruning. The heart here is strong. The core ideals tend to pull things back on course when upsets inevitably occur. Those who cannot or will not ride the currents will drift away. And sometimes you've got to give the raft a push.

The fact that a member in good standing can post on such a potentially polarizing topic and get back thoughtful viewpoints is a very good sign. Hell, Swissy made a fistful of great points in his post.

I think that we might try slicing up the situation in another way just to see if it sheds further light on things.

Let's say that as the membership grows, there is a further increase in these fluff/fun/frivolity posts. And let's say that even fairly stringent measures (that do not seriously diminish the open and friendly atmosphere) taken to quell that have met with limited success. I think that in that case, we could conclude that this has become a persistent feature of the community. Maybe one that only emerges as a problem when there are 5,000 members as opposed to when there were 2,000. For anyone who is familiar with dynamic systems theory, you'll know what I mean.

In any case, one option at that time would be to take even harsher actions and risk changing the nature of CP. Alternatively, it might be suggested to Rod that we could use a "Way Off Topic" forum to shunt these impulses. Of course the final decision would be Rod's. But the decision might come down to one of "gripping more firmly" versus "relieving the tension."

Wilkey

Huh? Who you calling a member in good standing? huh? HUH??!

:laugh: Sorry... had too Timmy!

Whew, I'm only at 9.5. If I cut out the Saloon I'd be down to 5. It is a social board and whenever you get a bunch of guys together you're going to get a myriad of subjects, trash talking, and BS. Hopefully, it doesn't get too far out of hand but it is going to be neigh on impossible to change the nature of the individuals.