• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Happy Thread

Enzo eh! You are a sports car/racing whore! I have to ask Nick..... Does your leg nub get sore grinding on the prosthetic after all that walking? Seems like the bone rubbing against soft tissue would hurt after awhile.

No worries, I'll talk about it any time. When the socket fits correctly, there's really not a whole lot of rubbing, pressure, or impact on the bottom. The way the thing is designed, most of the weight bearing is supported by the top of the socket. I'm essentially sitting in the thing, rather than walking on the bottom of the femur, if that makes sense. When it fits correctly, it's actually relatively comfortable with no chafing, pressure, or friction anywhere. That said, since the socket is custom molded, they are very sensitive to any sort of weight fluctuation. So, even just throughout the day, volume and containment can change, which does sometimes cause discomfort and can lead to bottoming out (just what it sounds like), or not being able to slide down as far as necessary because my stump dun went and got fat.

For the former, I have some micro adjustments I can make to tighten up the socket a bit, as well as can put additional socks on over the liner I wear to increase volume and comfort. This is just a regular and daily part of wearing this prosthesis. Is normal. For when I have put on too much volume, there are a few "band-aid" fixes, but it really comes down to either losing weight or getting a new socket made. I am coming out the other end of the "too large" dilemma, so it was VERY uncomfortable there for a while. As for these walks, it's not so much the discomfort from impact right now as it is just muscle fatigue. When I start to get tired, my balance starts to get even worse than normal, which can lead to either falling or missteps -- which is when the impacts on the soft tissue and bone can really hurt. I'm working on building up endurance right now, in addition to dropping a few pounds to reduce volume. With this socket, I really have to be cognizant of my nutrition and weight, unfortunately. That kind of sucks, honestly. Even something as simple as too much sodium can cause an increase in volume.

So, long answer to a short question. :p

No worries, I'll talk about it any time. When the socket fits correctly, there's really not a whole lot of rubbing, pressure, or impact on the bottom. The way the thing is designed, most of the weight bearing is supported by the top of the socket. I'm essentially sitting in the thing, rather than walking on the bottom of the femur, if that makes sense. When it fits correctly, it's actually relatively comfortable with no chafing, pressure, or friction anywhere. That said, since the socket is custom molded, they are very sensitive to any sort of weight fluctuation. So, even just throughout the day, volume and containment can change, which does sometimes cause discomfort and can lead to bottoming out (just what it sounds like), or not being able to slide down as far as necessary because my stump dun went and got fat.

For the former, I have some micro adjustments I can make to tighten up the socket a bit, as well as can put additional socks on over the liner I wear to increase volume and comfort. This is just a regular and daily part of wearing this prosthesis. Is normal. For when I have put on too much volume, there are a few "band-aid" fixes, but it really comes down to either losing weight or getting a new socket made. I am coming out the other end of the "too large" dilemma, so it was VERY uncomfortable there for a while. As for these walks, it's not so much the discomfort from impact right now as it is just muscle fatigue. When I start to get tired, my balance starts to get even worse than normal, which can lead to either falling or missteps -- which is when the impacts on the soft tissue and bone can really hurt. I'm working on building up endurance right now, in addition to dropping a few pounds to reduce volume. With this socket, I really have to be cognizant of my nutrition and weight, unfortunately. That kind of sucks, honestly. Even something as simple as too much sodium can cause an increase in volume.

So, long answer to a short question. :p
We all do what we have to do to keep the poundage down........Keeping walking brother!

Thanks, my friend. That's the plan for as many years as I'm physically able to do so. ;)

Today was great. Got three miles in, overall, and Enzo had a whole pack to run around with. When we got home I relaxed with my book and a great Tat from a truly great BOTL while doggo ran around in the rain getting even more muddy. :D

*EDIT* Can't figure out how to rotate it the right way, sorry...

If there's Heaven, it has to look something like this...
Can't disagree, that's the view from my back yard. Love when they're covered in snow.

On a side note, snowmagedon has begun just in time for my trip!

I bought my wife’s Valentines Day gift today, a Apple Watch (40mm) and ended up out of pocket $90 thanks to Price Match and $280 worth or gift cards thanks to UHC’s WeRally program (healthcare’s wellness program)! Major hustling on my part bit it pays to hustle when your a Stay At Home type.
Next up is a Hyperice Hypervolt massage gun.
Oh and got a 10 out of 10 on my Physiology quiz today!

The t-shirt is displayed in the Vermont welcome center off I-91 as you enter the state from Mass and we go by venue quite often, this is as close as my wife has let me get......next time I have the time (and the wife's authorization) I'll climb it and take a shot from the top. They have two events each year and a couple of real good you tube videos if you have the inkling.IMG_4030.jpgIMG_4034.jpg

The Short One came back from a school trip to Germany tonight, so we all decided to meet her at the airport. This was doggo's first outing like this, and he did great on the bus and the train. Also, if I were a single man, I'd be taking him to the airport every day...

Just a dog on a train doing train things...

Attachments

• IMG_1201.jpeg
    IMG_1201.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
So I did a thing yesterday!
IMG_7426.jpg

I met Sarah when I was a freshman in high school. She was a sophomore. It truly was love at first sight. It took me 24 years to conjure the gumption to make a true attempt to ask her out. I honestly thought she'd shoot me down when I did. 6 months later; we're married, in the process of buying a house and I now have a son!

We chose Palouse Falls for the venue as it was where we had our first date.

IMG_7424.JPG

IMG_7425.jpg

These pictures were taken from mom's phone. I'll post some pictures our photographer took when I get them.

God is good!

So I did a thing yesterday!
View attachment 29776

I met Sarah when I was a freshman in high school. She was a sophomore. It truly was love at first sight. It took me 24 years to conjure the gumption to make a true attempt to ask her out. I honestly thought she'd shoot me down when I did. 6 months later; we're married, in the process of buying a house and I now have a son!

We chose Palouse Falls for the venue as it was where we had our first date.

View attachment 29777

View attachment 29778

These pictures were taken from mom's phone. I'll post some pictures our photographer took when I get them.

God is good!

Congratulations 🍾