• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What’s on the grill/smoker today? 2021

Summer vegetable sauté - Zucchini, red, yellow, and golden bell peppers with fresh morel mushrooms. Had fresh garlic, shallots, EVOO, and balsamic vinegar. I cooked/seared the peppers directly on the hot coals and removed the skins after they had cooled.

Paired the vegetables with Sous Vide Elk tenderloin over a bed of fresh morel mushrooms sautéed in a red wine, shallot, and thyme sauce. My mother said “I’m having a religious experience right now!” as she was eating. I think that’s the best cooking compliment anyone has ever given me. 😍
ETA: The elk was cooked medium rare, but it doesn’t look like it in the picture. The color changed after I poured the sauce on.

7203AE47-A254-4206-A490-8294B05659E4.jpeg6F9685CB-323A-4B53-8894-678BD50048A6.jpegA1A1FC6C-90D3-4A0C-B680-15B66E0A74ED.jpegCA79AA45-E62A-4AAE-BAC6-4E89C393F212.jpeg

Last edited:
Summer vegetable sauté - Zucchini, red, yellow, and golden bell peppers with fresh morel mushrooms. Had fresh garlic, shallots, EVOO, and balsamic vinegar. I cooked/seared the peppers directly on the hot coals and removed the skins after they had cooled.

Paired the vegetables with Sous Vide Elk tenderloin over a bed of fresh morel mushrooms sautéed in a red wine, shallot, and thyme sauce. My mother said “I’m having a religious experience right now!” as she was eating. I think that’s the best cooking compliment anyone has ever given me. 😍
Wow!! I'm at a loss for words.

ETA: The elk was cooked medium rare, but it doesn’t look like it in the picture. The color changed after I poured the sauce on.

View attachment 42703View attachment 42704View attachment 42705View attachment 42706
Oh yeah! Save The Good shit for when you go back home!

View attachment 42703View attachment 42704View attachment 42705View attachment 42706
Did you forage the morels?

My niece and family bought me a medium sized Big Green Egg a few years ago. They make a pizza stone for it and it does a fairly decent job of cooking a pizza. Not nearly as hot as a pizza oven, but I've still done some good ones on it. And a couple of burnt ones; temp and timing are critical.

Here's a 3 rib beef rib I did on the ol' big home made grill, there's just salt and pepper on there, but the fat crisped up to look like actual bark.BeefRibs.jpg

My niece and family bought me a medium sized Big Green Egg a few years ago. They make a pizza stone for it and it does a fairly decent job of cooking a pizza. Not nearly as hot as a pizza oven, but I've still done some good ones on it. And a couple of burnt ones; temp and timing are critical.

Here's a 3 rib beef rib I did on the ol' big home made grill, there's just salt and pepper on there, but the fat crisped up to look like actual bark.View attachment 43053
That looks right up my alley!! 😍

You can get the Egg up to 700-750 for pizza but it blows out the seal if you do. While that is hotter than an electric over (usually 500-550) it is pretty close to a good wood over 700-800 but nowhere near a real NY coal fired oven at 1100-1200.

Tritip kicks my butt. I do fairly well but haven't hit Great yet.
Good for you.

I've tried smoking them a few times, but always prefer them grilled. Cooked a bunch of them that way this weekend actually that were phenomenal.
Are you slicing them for the grill or just doing slabs of meat?